Forum Discussion

sph
New Contributor III
4 years ago
Solved

Unable to Activate New Internet Modem

Existing modem works great, but does not have WiFi... so attempted to activate a new Internet modem with WiFi (Motorola MG7540)  - connected everything up and all channels show connected / bonded and online, but no success with online self activation, so called tech support and cox Internet support was not able to see the modem so unable to activate.  Supposed as an issue with the modem, so bought another brand new modem, this time Motorola MG7550 and same thing, all lights show connected and bonded but unable to activate online... tried calling in to see if cox Internet support could see the modem but was disconnected twice! after hold times of 12 minutes and then 18 minutes... so frustrating...

I don't have phone services with cox so this is not a phone modem.  Any ideas why i cannot activate a new Internet modem...?

Thanks.

• Third time was the charm! Amazing how if you get the right person on the line the service is great.

Lucky for me when i called I got tech support agent AMBER in Houston, TX on the line and she activated the NEW modem and stayed with me through the modem's activation process to make sure once completed all worked.  The modem rebooted at least 7 times (concerning) but AMBER informed me this was expected during the activation phase... low and behold, once completed all works great... so far ;P

A BIG thank you to Cox tech agent AMBER in Houston, TX!

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Sph. We will be glad to see what is happening. Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      sph
      New Contributor III

This is tricky, as my CURRENT modem works great, just without WiFi, and the NEW is not connected, obviously, as it is not activated.

I will need to make sure the NEW is able to be activated and is working properly and reliably BEFORE the CURRENT modem is deactivated.  Or can both CURRENT and NEW be provisioned to work so this transition is seamless?

If i email the info (Name on Acct, Service Address, Serial Number, MAC Address), can the NEW modem be added / provisioned so i can Self-Activate it when ready?

Please advise.  Thank you.

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Sph

Once the new modem has been provisioned you would still need to contact us if you want the old modem reprovisioned. You will not be able to self activate online.

Jonathan J
        Cox Moderator