Forum Discussion

Gotcha29
New Contributor III
3 months ago
Solved

Download speeds constantly drop to 30 mbps on a 500 mbps plan.

I am getting constant notice 16 and 24 errors on the cable modem. 3 channels get high corrected and uncorrected errors. I am unable to go a full 2 hours before it drops to 30 mbps. 

• It started up again so I had a tech come out it was a filter in the line so all this time it was a filter the tech pulled out :(.

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Gecko87
    New Contributor

Same issue. Started many weeks ago. Replaced modem due to age and "regular maintenance" thinking the upgrade would help. No change. Resetting modem through smarthelp will solve the issue for about 5 minutes, then back to 30. Almost like its being throttled. Upload is not affected. I have had dips to 2mbps, but typically stays at 30.

Please post an update should you resolve your issue.

NicholeC

Hi Gecko87,

I'd be glad to review the modem logs and investigate further. Please send an email with your name, address, and reference to this post to cox.help@cox.com.

Thank you.

cliffbon1965
      New Contributor

ditto for me. Exactly how you explained it as well!  Usually if we reset the whole kit and caboodle (modems and wifi), in the past would help (most times for a couple of hours), before need to repeat.  Since Friday, rebooting everything has not helped.  This morning, it went from 5 mps to 50... Usually see in the 200 range.  Like you said, upload speeds have not been affected.  Since COX feels the need to tell all of us to email cox.help@cox.com, will be sending my info as well.

junostarr
    New Contributor

This is the exact issue I am experiencing as well and it started a few days ago. LMK if you get any updates on your end so I have a likely explanation for my issue.

NicholeC

Hi junostarr,

I'm sorry to hear you've also been experiencing service issues. So I can check into this further, please email my team at cox.help@cox.com.

Thank you.

Gotcha29
    New Contributor III

A tech was going to come out today but this morning I have consistant full speed I think they finally fixed the signal levels on their end all day a rock solid 500 mbps download.

junostarr
      New Contributor

No luck on my end yet. I have a tech coming by tomorrow, so hopefully my issue is suddenly resolved as well and I can cancel the tech visit.

junostarr
        New Contributor

To update, a technician came out and checked all of my personal equipment and found no issues(not surprising). They checked the main line on the street and told me they had to open a ticket to escalate the issue and someone would be out to fix it. Nobody has been seen since.

JawnZ
    New Contributor

I'm having a very similar issue.

The speeds are not only slow, but they are inconsistent depending on what service I use to speedtest. I believe that Cox is having peering issues (AGAIN).

In addition, I run a host of ping tests to both 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 at the same time, and I see that 1.1.1.1 is having timeouts and failures, while 8.8.8.8 is not.

This has been an issue for a few weeks now. Cox wants to deny responsibility and pretend it's customer facing, when in reality something is very wrong in their network and they aren't taking responsibility for it.

huntybunty
    New Contributor II

Unfortunately the real answer is to get used to it. Sadly Cox has a track record of terrible service. If you’re able to find another provider, I would recommend it. 

• I'm also having this issue on gigabit, started about a week ago. I had a tech out today who made some minor cabling/tap changes which improved upload speeds, but after a modem reboot it was good for a few minutes then right back to 30mbps or less(which is what happens every time I reboot the modem). He said(and showed me the notice in his dispatch app) that there is a "national degradation of services" that has been going on for about a week and they have no estimation on a time for it to be fixed.

DustinP

packetwizard,

When you have a moment for support on this issue, could you please email us at Cox.Help@cox.com with your name, address, and the URL of this forum. We can help investigate about the speed loss you're seeing.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

FYI for everyone having issues, there are a few things you can do on your side to try and address the issue. Replace cable wires, replace splitters, verify all connections are snug. DON'T wrench them tight, that can damage the connection if you do it too tight. 

Also, believe it or not, try changing the electrical connection to a different socket. That can sometimes help as well. 

Gotcha29
    New Contributor III

It started up again so I had a tech come out it was a filter in the line so all this time it was a filter the tech pulled out :(.