Forum Discussion

Zurq
Contributor II
5 years ago

STILL GETTING PACKET LOSS AFTER IT WAS "FIXED"

I am getting 1-5% packet loss in fortnite when my problem was "fixed" I would like to get this fixed bc this is dumb. im paying 200$ for what? a trash experience, sorry to say it but i am fed up with this.

14 Replies

Zurq
    Contributor II

I get this constant now idk why, it was working fine yesterday and now it isnt.

BlackWat3r
    New Contributor III

I have the same problem, it's not an issue with AWS as some claim. The packet loss affects everything, including google cloud servers. 

The issue is more than likely the node you are on is over subscribed, meaning the node will be at 100% usage causing you problems all throughout the day.

Secondly, Cox throttles traffic. You won't be able to fix this sadly, you have to switch ISP.

pd91
      New Contributor III

It actually is a problem with AWS. I literally talked to a AWS lead network engineer for 4 months to diagnose this stuff, as well as a network engineer at COX. It absolutely is the problem.

pd91
        New Contributor III

To clarify, COX is the perpetrator here - they own faulty hardware which reorders UDP packets to AWS, and then AWS drops them, causing what seems to be "packet loss". Order matters for video games. When the order isn't perfect, fortnite detects this and drops the packets. This is the issue. It is entirely COX's fault.

Zurq
      Contributor II

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, but at this point it is getting pretty hard, and cox is the only isp I have in my area.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Zurq, we are not detecting any packet loss on our end. If the packet loss is occurring outside of the Cox Network (and occurs on Amazon's, for instance), then we would recommend reaching out to Epic Games directly. In regards to port forwarding, this is under:

Network > Advanced Settings > Port Forwarding > Add Port Forward

-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Zurq
      Contributor II

for some reason it wont let me port forward on 192.168.0.1   and i tried the https://wifi.cox.com/ site and my device doesnt show on the list

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hi Zurq, what type of device is using this IP Address? Are you trying to port forward to a wireless router or to a device in the home? Once you choose the device in your home to port forward to, you can then select Xbox Live, Playstation 4, Minecraft, World of Warcraft, etc. You can also do a manual set up, where you can simply add the port number and protocol. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Zurq
    Contributor II

Not Able to port forward using the cox wifi app device not showing.