Forum Discussion

jdemmons
New Contributor
4 years ago

Spotty service & slow speeds...

My wife is a teacher, we have three children all using distance-learning, and I run to technology companies for my home. That’s five people online at any given time during a weekday. I have the giga blast, supposed to have speeds “up to“ 1000 MB's... I’m lucky if it stays above 30, Cox has been out here three times to fix it.

How do I actually get the speed I am supposed to be getting? And not let it crash? Cox has been out here twice already…

7 Replies

kimba36
    New Contributor

Hi my name is kim dorwart i talked to one of your support people last week about having a faster internet speed . I how have a new router that is suppose to be the new thing this Gigabite . My computer was slow before with the old router when down loading any you-tube videos to watch. I could always watch them but it took time for them to load. I don:t have a problem with paying for a up-grade. What i have a problem with is your equipment after the router **.....My signal to the router keeps   dropping and i end up with no internet connection. Lost time with tv programs. Will you please fix your freeking equipment!!!! Thank you Kim Dorwart -. PS- If the problem continues i will drop this service and tell all the people i know  not to use this service.

felicityc
    New Contributor

Yep... CenturyLink went down. Level3/tata etc all had issues. So everyone going through them (cox, cloudflare- cloudflare mostly) went down temporarily. It was not anything anyone looking at this thread did.

however for OP ur using 2.4ghz use 5ghz wifi or wire it 30 is optimistic with the default, read up on ur modem functions

• Jdemmons, the Forum's members will not be able to assist you with this issue. I recommend you contact us on one of our Social Media Platforms for assistance as we will need additional account information to help you with this issue:
    - email us at cox.help@cox.com (include a link this post)
    - Twitter @coxhelp
    - Facebook

You may also chat online with a tech: www.cox.com/.../contactus.html Scroll down to and click on Let's chat.

Thank you,
    Mike J.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    GLK
    New Contributor

I understand the frustration. Same situation. Connection drops. Wireless or Hard wired. Doesn’t matter. 

I have been given the run around and have needed to replace “equipment.”

Fast forward to a month, at the end of the month, same problem and same response. “On our side” you need to replace your modem. The modem was replaced last month because Cox told me to do so! They get one of these solutions.

I have 2 kids requiring internet connection because of distance learning but like clock work, at the end of the month/billing cycle data has been throttled even with data left for 6 days. 

However, with $10/month you get a technician they say. From what I am hearing from your story, even you are having problems with a technician coming on site multiple times. 

Maybe the answer is to get unlimited data along with their premium high speed connection however, I’m no longer wanting to take that chance with this service. I am trying to stomach this service until the other provider comes next week to install their stuff.

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @GLK

Cox does not shape or throttle internet traffic nor intentionally impede speeds.

Jonathan J
      Cox Moderator
    Jayfry
    New Contributor

I literally have the same issue. Tech coming out again in a few days. I expect nothing will get fixed. They seem legit clueless, and they're supposed to be network technicians. 

LisaH
      Hi Jayfry. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator