Forum Discussion

Gregj83
New Contributor
5 months ago

SPam/Scam Emails

I have a question for you. Why do I receive approximately 10-15 spam emails from Cox? They appear legit until you look in the header and see it is from susieq@cox.net. The forms look. Usually, it asks you to update your mailbox they all have something to do with changing your password, your account having some strange activity or Cox is changing mail mail. box to a new format.

Every email arrives that looks just like the legit emails. I see this causing a problem with senior citizens and technically challenged individuals. The thing that bothers me the most is they come through the Cox IMAP or POP servers. Are you doing anything about this? I know I send emails out to my organization and they go into junk folder.

I would like to know what you are doing about this so I can educate others.

8 Replies

CuriousJ
      Contributor

It’s not possible to report spam using a forward to the spam/fraud email address because Cox then IDs my email as spam and won’t send it!

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

You have to forward as an attachment per documentation.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

You're correct to recognize those are not legitimate emails.  Email from Cox will have a domain name ending with ".com".  The "cox.net" domain is used for Cox customers.

Those are phishing emails.  If they're going to the "Spam" folder, an online security company identified them as spam and flagged them before they reached Webmail.  Since they're an obvious attempt to commit fraud, an attempt to "unsubscribe" from that sender wouldn't be successful. 

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

The webpage at the link  NicholeC provided advises sending email to a "cox.net" account.

Is the "cox.net" domain name in the email address displayed on that webpage accurate?  It seems odd that Cox would use an email address with a customer domain for corporate use. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

The REAL answer is, let's say Joe Schmuckatelly not knowing any better clicks on an email like you are discussing. It takes him to what APPEARS to be a cox login page. and he logs in, username and password. What's he's done is get phished, and now they have HIS email name and pwd. So when they can no longer send out phishing or scam emails using the susieq@cox.xxx, NOW they start sending emails out using the jschmuckatelly@cox.xxx, a few of them of course are phishing emails to get more usernames and passwords and the rest are scam emails for banks/credit cards etc etc. That way one or more of the phishing emails gets them some more usernames and passwords, while the rest are used to get into banks, cc's, etc etc to steal money. 

BTW, I am a Senior Citizen, BUT know better, having worked as a systems engineer, network engineer, when discharged from the navy was working AIS Security, so I am one of the Senior Citizens who know better. I do my best to spread the knowledge, and assist everyone I can in alerting them how this happens. I also take scammer calls, and use a virtual machine to waste their time, HOURS of it if possible, as a way to entertain myself, and ensure that while I am wasting their time, they are not stealing money from someone else. (It's best to use Windows Vista 32 bit, since there are only a couple of remote software packages that will run on it, so they waste a LONG time going through every single one of them, till one finally loads up, LOL LOL).