Forum Discussion

boarshead5
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Slow Upload Speeds; Trying to Stream on Twitch

So recently I have been trying to stream on Twitch.tv, and even though we paying for the Ultimate Internet package, which includes 30mbps upload, I am only able to stream at 3500 bitrate and this still doesn't guarantee a good quality stream without dropped frames. I would also like to mention that even though we are paying for this service, I am getting an average of about 20-24mbps upload, with it very rarely reaching 30mbps.

I called about this a week ago I had two techs come out so far. One came out Monday the 17th and another came out today at around noon. The first tech said everything should be fixed by Friday, but I have performed multiple speed tests since then and I have yet to see speeds remotely close to 30mbps aside from a couple trials. (see attached image)   He also put in a ticket for someone from Cox's maintenance team to come and see if there were any issues on the line outside my house, and from what I have been told, everything has been resolved yet I am still experiencing less than expected upload speeds.

I also have performed multiple Twitch Bandwidth tests to verify that there is an issue with my upload speed, and sure enough I get mediocre bandwidth results along with very low quality connections to servers that are close to me. (see attached image) 

Not sure what to do at this point because it seems like getting a tech out here for the third time would be nothing but a nuisance to them, since all they do is come here and tell me they can't do anything about it and that they will forward the issue. Hopefully someone on here can provide me with some help.

Thanks

17 Replies

boarshead5
    New Contributor II

Crazy... As soon as I hop on a VPN I see numbers like this and when I try live streaming at 4000kbps I drop almost no frames, even with reduced speeds while using the VPN...

From what I can tell either Cox has terrible routing to twitch streaming servers or they are throttling anyone who tries to stream on Twitch.tv. Gotta love it.

RomanPat
      Contributor

Hello, nice information and everything pertaining to your symptoms seems exactly like my situation:

-Twitch frame drops

-Fortnite constant lag

-when using those twitch tools quality of 0 came out from all of the server ingests

-all equipment is top of the line

-multiple techs and onsite work

try running some pingplots to various aws servers and even fortnite servers as they're located on aws. If we document and make enough noise maybe someone can find the problem affecting batches of customers

roy3805
    New Contributor II

I have this same problem. Speedtest.net tests are inaccurate for me. I get 700-900/38 on speedtest.net. There’s a Speedtest website https://speedof.me it gives you real connection speed. And I pay for Gigablast 1000/35 and on the website I max out at 500/8. I had my modem ran to a Netgear xr500 router which is high end and I always dropped frames when streaming at anything over 2500kbps. This problem started for everyone when they started to deploy the gigablast to almost everyone.

Becky
      Hi Roy3805, there is a note on the Cox Internet Speed Test (www.cox.com/.../speedtest.html) page that refers Gigablast subscribers to http://www.speedtest.net/. "Have Cox Gigablast? For the most accurate results, please test your speed here [http://www.speedtest.net/] and select the nearest Cox server." -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Hi Boarshead5, the maintenance ticket submitted by the field tech on your behalf has been resolved. All your modem metrics look good. So that we can take a look at your upload speeds on the Cox network, please follow the steps at www.cox.com/.../accessing-the-speed-test-tool.html, log in to Cox.com, and run the Speed Test Tool a handful of times. Also, run the speed test the next time you have difficulty streaming. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      boarshead5
      New Contributor II

I just tried to stream again and I am seeing this when using that link you provided me. 

Also when performing the Twitch Bandwidth Test again:

Something is definitely wrong with the upload. Either that or the routing to the Twitch servers is abysmal.

RomanPat
        Contributor

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME QUALITY RESULTS OF ZERO IN EVERY SERVER AREA!

boarshead5
      New Contributor II

I ran the test a few times and it seems like I am getting speeds closer to 30 but not quite the full 30, whereas the download speed is beyond what we are paying for. I also just ran the Twitch Bandwidth Test again and I am seeing the same horrible results even with the speed test showing speeds closer to 30. For a good quality stream the Quality section should be around 80+ but as you can see it's hardly even halfway there.

I also just performed an Ookla speedtest and I am seeing these numbers:

Really confused about this, but I really just want to be able to live stream without any issues. 

Thanks

boarshead5
      New Contributor II

Again, I just tested the upload speed and got the best speeds I've seen in a while in terms of upload. This happened at around 9:30 EST

Also did the Twitch Bandwidth Test and got 100% quality on two of the servers but forgot to screenshot it. Seems like it wants to work in short bursts.

Becky
        Hi Boarshead5, are you testing over WiFi? If so, please connect a device directly to your Gateway with an Ethernet cord, reset the Gateway, and run the Cox Speed Test again. Your average upload speed on the Cox network since yesterday is 25.89 Mbps. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    boarshead5
    New Contributor II

Been constantly testing my internet and last night I was getting the speeds I would expect to the Twitch Ingest servers. Tried again this morning and everything seems good. Hopefully these numbers stay this way because whatever they did, if they did anything, really helped my bandwidth to the servers. Never mentioned this, but I am located in Florida. And it also looks like I am receiving the correct upload speeds when performing a speed test, when before I was only receiving 20-25mbps. Will continue to test things just in case this is a fluke.

boarshead5
      New Contributor II

aaaaaand it's back to the terrible speeds again.

Becky
      Hi Boarshead5, I'm glad to hear that you've seen some improvement in your upload speeds. Please let us know if your upload speed drops again! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator