Forum Discussion

AcousticDi
New Contributor
11 months ago

Simple Instructions for connecting Air Printer to Cox Panoramic Wifi.

Spent over 2 hours trying to get my Canon ip7200 Airprinter connected, including a call to Cox that told me there was no longer a WPS button and I needed to consult my printer manufacturer or manual. (What?)  Ii tried this on a hunch, and it worked beautifully...

1 - Set your printer to connect to AirPrint (mine was to press the blue wifi button on the front for 3 seconds until it flashed).

2 - On the Back of Cox Pano modem, there is a white button near the top that has 2 arrows on it (you can hardly see them). This is the same as a WPS button. Press and hold for 2-3 seconds until the unit flashes a blue light on the front while it is connecting. 

3 - After it turns white, it is connected and your printer blue light should be solid.

COX! Please put these instructions in the trifold you send out with the unit and make this info is readily available online. Maybe even educate your phone techs. There are people all over online looking for this SIMLE info!

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

No offense, but did you try Google before calling Cox? It explains the WPS button on Cox's site here. I think the reason they don't mention it in the trifold is they are afraid of people factory resetting their gateway and having to set everything back up again. Overall a good tip though. Thanks for posting. Maybe it will help someone else.

• WPS - Located on the back of the gateway above the telephone ports, this button can be used instead of entering the WiFi password to connect wireless devices that support WPS to the gateway. WPS works only for wireless networks that use a password that is encrypted with the WPA Personal or WPA2 Personal security protocols.

Pressing and holding the WPS button for 60 seconds results in a factory reset. All customized settings are lost and all settings are set back to factory defaults.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

You have hit the nail on the head. After having worked both Data Tier 2, and CAG, I cannot tell you how many people don't read/follow instructions, and the aftermath that follows up from not doing so. I VIVIDLY remember speaking to an attorney, (who said the word 'lawsuit' at least a dozen times), because the instructions for his MAC was to setup the email IMAP account, and then copy his emails from his POP folders to the IMAP folders, he didn't listen and he created the IMAP connections, said "OK I got it", and then immediately deleted his POP settings, which instantly deleted over 10 years of client emails that of course he had NO backup of. When I asked him if he had a 'Time machine' that he backed up his mac on., his reply, 'MAC'S don't fail, so I never needed one'. One Click on a MINUS symbol and poofage! Can you imagine someone with a pano modem 2 pods, security system, sonos sound, garage door, several gaming systems, and baby monitor all tied to WiFi all setup, and then a factory reset cause they held the wps button down too long?? Makes me glad I am retired!

Lovemylab
        Contributor III

Reminds me of the last time I was on with Cox due to an issue and they tried to upsell me to Cox Complete Care. I struggled to find a polite way to say that if I had an issue that I couldn't figure out within my home network, the chances of online support figuring it out are slim to none.