Forum Discussion

sethm1
Contributor
4 years ago

Should I upgrade the modem?

Currently have the Preferred service using a arris Surfboard 3.0 (SB6190).  With both kids back at home and 18 or so devices connected (3 wired, 5 via 2.4G & 10 via 5G) - would upgrading modem to a SB8200 (3.1) be beneficial? Or wait till I upgrade the service to Ultimate or gigablast?  Our router is a Orbi ac3000 triband - RBR50 - the main and a satellite.  Issue is that great getting 165 mpbs on speed, but a significant drop when someone streaming a movie.  Thx.

8 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You subscribe to the Preferred 150 data plan and get 165 Mbps?  There's nothing wrong with your SB6190 D3 modem.

18 devices isn't a lot but each device is still competing for router time.  Even if a device is idle, it's still taking a slice of time.  I'd try to limit the number of IP addresses your router will issue or lower the priority (QoS) of potential streaming devices.  Whoever is streaming isn't being considerate of other users.

sethm1
      Contributor

Bruce - thx. And thanks for saving money.  When i first set up the router i “played” with the QoS and it actually decreased speed. I will revisit that feature. 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Devices get difference QoS, right?  If all devices get the same QoS, there is no QoS.

rooted
    New Contributor II

Networking is give and take which is what Bruce is saying about slice of time, but if someone is streaming a movie it shouldn't affect everyone else that much. Now downloading is a different story since this is going as fast as it can until finished.

If your router doesn't support QOS there are devices you could add which can control bandwidth per device, personally I use MikroTik but there are many others.

sethm1
      Contributor

Which Mikro tik product are you referring to?  There web site has many choices.

rooted
        New Contributor II

I use the hAP AC2 but I wasn't suggesting that's what you go with, if you aren't savvy with networking you will likely want to find something else as RouterOS is not easy to manage.

Maybe someone else can suggest something friendlier.

This is a RouterOS simulator, if you think you can manage it MikroTik may be for you since they all run this same interface:

http://demo.mt.lv/webfig/

The Queues section is QOS, but there are several ways to do it..kid control, rate limiting in DHCP settings, etc.