Forum Discussion

m_wellner1
New Contributor
4 years ago

Panoramic Wifi Dropping or Not Connecting to devices

We've had the same Modem for 6+ years along with a router (only 2ish years old), and were experience some slow connection speeds so we decided to call COX to update the modem. After getting our new Panoramic wifi modem today around 4pm, and we immediately started running into issues. At first the wifi wouldn't connect to anything, but after about 2 hours we got the modem up and running only to have the internet continually drop in and out with the issue resolving itself without any need to physically reset the modem (though we have reset the modem numerous times throughout the last few hours just to get this far). After getting the wifi to work I ran several speed tests to see if all this trouble was really worth it - it was not. My 6+ year old modem was giving me a 35-40 mbps, and my brand new panoramic modem/router is now giving me 28 mbps at best. Mind you I'm paying for 150 mbps, so this is no where near what I should be getting (especially from using COX's own modem/router). Not only is our speed slower, but now it appears that not all devices can connect to the network. I work from home and our son does online classes from home, so having a stable internet is very crucial for our every day. I'm not sure why upgrading to a new modem would be worse than using a modem from 6+ years ago, but nonetheless this appears to be the case. I would almost like to just use my old COX modem that I can use with my own router and get a better more stable connection with. At least then I'll know I can rely on my terrible internet, rather than hope and pray for a long enough stable connection to do any real work on.

Let me also be clear that this is all been done in the same room as the Modem/Router with nothing in the way or blocking it. Using a LAN connection is NOT a solution as that does not solve the Wifi issue. And the inability to obtain an internet connection on some devices is not solved by either a device reboot or a modem reboot, as both have been done repeatedly. I can't even find the "hidden" devices from the online modem connection site under "Devices not connected".

4 Replies

xander44
    New Contributor

If you are using the panoramic wifi modem provided you do not need a separate router and actually if you do use a separate router it will interfere with the panoramic built in router. 

I am also having the same issue with my panoramic wifi dropping in and out and not getting a continuous signal, not sure what the issue is with that.  

m_wellner1
      New Contributor

I have not used the router since getting the panoramic. I even had my doubts from the beginning when picking it up since Modem Router combos tend to have issues, and not work as well as separate device setup.

I read a lot of forums, and even ones on this site about the connection dropping issue, but it seems no one has had a solution - not even COX

Allan
        @M.wellner1, The modem is up and running with a good signal and I do not see any unusual latency. Is this only happening with wifi devices or all devices? Also, is the modem centrally located in the home and how far are you devices from the modem? -Allan
      Allan
      @Xander44, You are correct about the possible interference you can get from multiple routers. Are you having issues with both wifi and wired devices? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.