Forum Discussion

Raskie
New Contributor III
6 years ago

Outgoing Mail "Server Offline"

I’m unable to send mail with Apple Mail (Pop).  All settings are correct:  Outgoing SMTP Port 465 with SSL enabled and password authentication (correct password is entered).  This  has worked well for several years and I have made no changes to any settings.  I continually get a server Offline error today.  This used to be a regular recurring problem but has not been problem for the past couple of years.

Is it just me or are others experiencing a problem today?

36 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    korchw
    New Contributor

We have 5 different hardware devices and 2 Cox email addresses. All of these stopped sending yesterday around noon PST. Every device has the most recent operating system software, and email client software. Other people in our area also cannot send Cox email. The Cox chat representative suggested I pay an extra $10/month to fix this. When I query the Cox outage site I’m told there is a TV outage in my area- nothing about email. Why is it so difficult to get accurate outage information?

Tish80
      New Contributor

Log out from each device. Turn the devices off and back on load email back up and it should start to work; my issue seems fixed now.

korchw
        New Contributor

I spoke to Cox tier 2 support this morning, The problem is on Cox’s outgoing mail server. He said it takes 24 - 48 hours to fix. I had a couple of dormant Cox emails get sent earlier today. Now they are failing to send again. I will try your suggestion re shutting everything down, maybe that will help. 

Mick536
    New Contributor III

I had it all day yesterday. This morning when I rebooted, Apple Mail reported a new certificate from Cox was in use. I trusted it and all has been fine since.

bmeertmoed
    New Contributor

I'm still having the same issue with outgoing email. I used the text feature via COX to be notified when the problem was resolved. I never got any notification this morning, and used the "reply with UPDATE" function, and got a response back that the issue has been resolved, and if issues remain to unplug devices and plug them back in.

I have shutdown all devices (including router and ONT), and powered everything back up (Ont > Router > PCs), and the issue remains. It is not fixed.

Windows 10/MS Outlook

bmeertmoed
      New Contributor

OK, after typing my above message, I went back and an email that was in the outbox had finally sent. I just tried sending a new email, and it sent within a couple seconds.

So, that's good news...

enjay
        New Contributor

bmeertmoed,

Great plan!!! Like most on here, I have had emails stuck in my outbox for over 24 hours. As a result of your post I unplugged PC, router and modem. After I powered back up, I went into Outlook and the emails started sending!!!  I am using Office Outlook 2016 and Win 10. Thanks for posting this. 

• I need help.  I would like to use my cox.  For some reason the outgoing mail on one of my devices just stopped working.  How do I fix it.  

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hello, are you able to send a test email to yourself, on https://myemail.cox.net? If you are able to send and receive emails on the Cox Host Server, we would recommend changing the email password. After you change the password, please ensure the password is correct in your Apple settings.

www.cox.com/.../changing-your-password-on-coxcom.html

Please also make sure that your Apple's software settings are up-to-date with the most recent IOS update. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator