Forum Discussion

sangle1
New Contributor
13 days ago

removal of McAfee Security Suite

Very upset that I've lost the McAfee Security Suite....

Seems my bill keeps going up, but my available services are going down.....

No E-mail support, no anti-virus support......what's next?

2 Replies

• Hi sangle1, 

I understand how losing access to the McAfee Anti-virus software can be frustrating. We are always evaluating the features we provide customers. Our research shows most customers have anti-virus software on their computers. However, a very small number of our customers use the McAfee service we provide.

Thank you for your patience, 

Anesti33
    New Contributor III

The fact of the matter is that Cybersecurity has moved beyond a focus on malware on your local system, and the native system defenses against malware are better than ever.

Whether you have macOS or Windows, there are many built-in malware protections, such as Windows Defender. Configure this well, and don't worry about garden-variety threats. Desktop devices have firewall capabilities that'll block rogue apps. Likewise, browsers such as Chrome, Edge, and Safari can be secured for safe browsing without the need for an extension. Furthermore, I recommend that you limit third-party apps, and always use the system's App Store for installing reputable apps. Malware is far less likely to get a foothold if you install only the apps you need, and don't download/sideload from third parties.

The bigger security picture is focused on the online services you use now. Many people use platforms such as Facebook, Steam, Google Workspaces, Slack, etc. These all have integrations and run apps that interface with your accounts and not your local machine. Secure those integrations and don't play janky Facebook games. They could eventually worm through your contacts lists, your emails, or your cloud storage. McAfee can't do a thing about that. McAfee can't prevent you from giving out personal data, or entering your credit card/bank account on a janky e-commerce site. 

If you consider this holistic picture and still feel the need for McAfee, then you can subscribe to it like everyone else. It's perfectly useful for the scope they've defined. You may be quite comfortable with its interface or their support staff. Cox is just signaling to us that the McAfee contract was no longer cost-effective.