Forum Discussion

agoodpast23
New Contributor
4 years ago

Inexistent Upload Speeds

I've been living in my new home for almost three months now. When I moved in, the houses were all wired for Cox internet. I went with the gigablast plan, as I need good internet to do what I do (streaming). At the beginning, the internet was great. After a week or so, I would have issues with the internet dropping upload speed for about an hour at a time. When I say they would drop, I mean they would basically be inexistent (dropping below 1mbps upload). Download speeds were always workable. Although,  they are not the speeds I pay for, I can still live with it (usually around 400mbps). Anyway, one day it went out for three hours, so I decided to call a tech out. Upon arrival he stated that there was nothing he could do because he couldn't come inside my home due to COVID-19, understandable. There was then a long period of time where I had relatively no issues. Consistent 35 mbps upload. This past two weeks, the issue has resurfaced and not left. I was streaming one night and dropping over 75% of rendered frames due to network lag. I tested my speeds and got 0.2 mbps upload speed. I told myself, "Okay well it will fix itself in an hour or so, shouldn't be a big deal." An hour passed and it was still bad. I continued to test it every hour for 8 hours and it never stabilized. I called another tech out. They changed out some fittings and connections on the wires and said it was all good. I tested it while they were there and got 25 mbps upload, which is workable. Before they left, they told me that if the issue persists there's only two other things that could be causing the issue: The modem, or the main line (the one that runs to the telephone pole). Later that evening, I checked the speeds again and received 7 mbps upload speed. As a streamer, this concerned me because that is barely enough to stream on. I didn't want to take the risk because I would be dropping frames. This morning I tested it again and got 1 mbps upload, so I went to the Cox store and swapped modems. Came home, hooked up the modem, and got 0.4 mbps upload. I called out another tech to come out tomorrow morning, but it seems the issue is within the main line. I will update this post as I get more answers. Hopefully this issue is resolved in the near future. 

6 Replies

• I was seeing some packet loss to your modem and others in the area. I forwarded this over to our NOC and a technician is being dispatched to look into a noise issue in the area.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      BrianM

This is now resolved. I am no longer seeing any packet loss on my end either.

agoodpast23
        New Contributor

My upload speed seemed to have stabilized at around 15mbps upload. I appreciate you looking in to this issue for me and making it stable enough for me to stream on. There will still be a tech out tomorrow. I will update him on the issue, and see what we can do in order to get me the speeds I pay for, as it seems I am still getting the lower half of what I should be getting.

agoodpast23
    New Contributor

I had an appointment between 10am-12pm today. I woke up at 9:30 to make sure I was ready for the tech to get here, and saw that he was in the parking lot. I waited around for him to knock on the door, ring the door bell, call me on the phone, etc. and received nothing. I didn't want to bother him if he was on break or something. At 10:12am I received an email stating that my appointment was cancelled because I wasn't home. WHAT??? They made no attempt to contact me? Understandably, I am very frustrated. Thankfully, BrainM (one of the Cox Forum mods) was able to get me to workable speeds for the moment (Thanks again!). I made a call to technical support to get the tech back out and she said the next available appointment wasn't until 3pm. By that time, I will be going to work. She tried rescheduling the appointment for Sunday-Wednesday, but I will be out of town for work. The support on this has been sub par at best and I am very upset about it. 

CrystalS
      Former Moderator
      Hello

The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone, and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    dochereford
    New Contributor

Having the same issue here in Goodyear AZ. I had 500gbps service.  Last month customer service talked me into upgrading to one gigabit service to fix my speed issues. Guaranteed me I would not see any more issues. Well my issues have changed a bit. I had a technician come out to the house.  The technician tests everything here at the house with his equipment and he gets one gigabit down. Any of my computers, the fastest I get is about 120 down. I have a combination of MacBooks and the laptops as well as a smart TV. They all share the same response time. It’s not my equipment.  I’m currently sitting at 12 Mb per second. Either they explain themselves or I’m moving on to another service.  Something is going on and they’re not owning up to it. 

my company supplies me with a hotspot from Verizon for use when I’m onthe road. I actually get faster response to that which is cellular. lol.