Forum Discussion

Biker6238
New Contributor II
3 months ago
Solved

Getting 2 simultaneous hardwired ethernet connections working without using Wi-Fi

I have been trying to get my PC and my television to work using ethernet cables.  I don't like running Wi-Fi 24/7.  My television service is via the Internet, not a Cox package.  My Cox modem/router (G954331X) has connections for more than one ethernet cable in the back.  I have two cables, so I put one from the modem/router to the PC and one from the modem/router to the TV.  I can get the TV and the PC Internet to work successfully one at a time, but I can't get them to work simultaneously.  When switching from one to the other, I have to turn the working one off, and reboot the router to recognize the other one.  It appears that the only way to turn off the Cox Wi-Fi is to put the router in bridge mode, which is what I did. 

When I called Cox today, I did get a really helpful person on the phone who spent some time looking into it and checking around.  I was told I needed to take the router out of bridge mode to get the two things working at the same time.  That turns the Wi-Fi back on.  So, it seems that the basis for the Cox service operation is that it apparently relies on Wi-Fi to allow you more than one connection of any type at a time. 

Am I not ever going to be able to get those two things working at the same time via a hardwired ethernet connection without Wi-Fi, or has someone figured out how to turn off the Wi-Fi and still get two ethernet connections to work simultaneously so I can work on my computer while the TV is on?  Thank you so much for any insight offered.

• He's putting it in BRIDGE mode which means it only supports a single IP address. So even though he has multiple ethernet ports, they won't provide multiple Ip addresses in bridge mode. He would need to purchase a Wired Router, and connect it to the ethernet port on the modem, and then connect his devices to the router. 

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hello Biker6238, 

Some gateways have only one usable ethernet port. I am not familiar with the gateway model you provided. Is it this one https://www.cox.com/residential/support/technicolor-cgm4331.html ? If not, can you check https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html to let us know which model you use? Next to Back View, it will also tell you a little more about the ethernet ports and if all ports are active. There are options. You can purchase your own modem and router or you could swap the Gateway for a Gateway that does support 2 or more ethernet connections. Please let us know if you have any questions. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

The answer is, if you turn on Bridge mode, the modem can ONLY support a single IP address. My suggestions is, if you don't want WiFi activate, to purchased you own WIRED only router put the modem in bridge mode and connect the wired only router. 

Better yet, take the pano modem to cox and if you have telephone service request a telephone modem, and then connect your wired router to it. If you DON'T have Cox telephone service, then you may want to think about purchasing a modem, and wired only router, and using that, because cox charges for the pano modem, and if you aren't using it for WiFi, the why pay 10 -15$ a month for something you aren't using?

TiffanyR

Hello WiderMouthOpen, 

I am sorry you are having this trouble. I have escalated this to our leaders to investigate. 

Biker6238
    New Contributor II

Thank you TiffanyR.  Yes, the gateway model I have is the one you guessed in the link above.  I checked the diagram, and I seem to have everything plugged in correctly.  I have the ethernet cord from the PC to the orange one.  The cord to the TV is in the one just below where the first phone line goes.  If Cox offers a gateway that would allow me two active ethernet ports at the same time, without running Wi-Fi to achieve that functionality, I might want to pursue that option.  Could you please tell me if there is one offered that does that and provide a specific model I should ask for?  Thank you.

TiffanyR

Hello Biker6238, 

If the one pictured in the link is the one that you are using, then you should be able to use multiple ethernet ports. There may be something going on with the Gateway. I would recommend swapping it out for a similar model or another that offers multiple ports active at the same time. You can find a list of our compatible modems and gateways at https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html . Many of them offer multiple ethernet ports that can be used at the same time. You would need a gateway that can support the level of internet that you subscribe to. It would also depend on the inventory that our store has. The Arris TG1682, Arris TG2472, and Arris TM3402 only allow for one ethernet port active at a time, so I would stay away from those for your needs. You can find our store locations at https://www.cox.com/local/search . Please let us know if you need additional assistance. 

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

He's putting it in BRIDGE mode which means it only supports a single IP address. So even though he has multiple ethernet ports, they won't provide multiple Ip addresses in bridge mode. He would need to purchase a Wired Router, and connect it to the ethernet port on the modem, and then connect his devices to the router. 

Biker6238
    New Contributor II

Thank you Darkatt.  This is very helpful information.  I will be looking at the options and figuring out what is the best approach.  I am glad to know that it's doable.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

no problem. I worked in Data Tier 2 for Cox for over a decade before we all became CAG. luckily I retired before my hair fell out..... Kidding aside, I enjoyed my job, and I enjoy being able to help people now. If I can help, let me know!