Forum Discussion

bk_inAZ
New Contributor
7 years ago

Get the speed you deserve- modem upgrade on us

COX sent a letter saying this:  "Get the Internet speed you deserve with a modem upgrade on us.... Follow instructions at COX.COM/UPGRADEMYMODEM to get your replacement at no additional cost."  My modem is an older one, not capable of using the whole 150 Mbps I pay for each month.  COX knows that.  But I have learned never to accept anything COX says as truth.  Sure enough, when I visited the URL, COX wants me to pay $179 for a modem, with a $20 credit for installation which costs $20.  See, they've known all along that I purchased the modem myself.  So the letter is just baloney, except without any nutritional or other value than to add to the mass of a landfill.

I called the number on the letter: 844-228-9156, and they didn't see how I could get the modem I own replaced for free.  She said to go into a COX store to see if they would do it.  I'm not going to waste my time.  If COX kept their word, it would be the first time.  I don't see it as an actual possibility.  I wish I could get something other than Century Link's pathetic 1.5 Mbps where I live.  I'd switch in a heartbeat.

20 Replies

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Fiverer

Please email your full address and the primary name of the account holder to cox.help@cox.com so we can take a look.

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @bk_inAZ

We suggest trying Fed Ex with the tracking you that was provided if still having an issue please reply back in an email.

bk_inAZ
    New Contributor

I am glad ( and embarrassed and surprised) that the new modem arrived today.  I will try to install tomorrow, time allowing, and bring the old one to a COX store.

Thanks for your help, and doing the right thing.

• Hello bk_inAZ, Glad to hear it has arrived and if you have any issues with the connection, please let us know.
    SoonerAl
    Contributor II

I got the FREE replacement SB6183 modem installed and activated a few weeks ago after I got home from an extended trip. It took awhile because the online activation is C**P as far as I was concerned then it took forever for the call in support to get it activated. Bottom line though is I am happy with the new modem.

To add I did not return the old modem because I did own it...

bk_inAZ
    New Contributor

Unfortunately since I installed it just yesterday, my Internet has been very flaky (so I can't use my VOIP home phone).  I stayed home to wait for a tech today, and he did what he could.  Unfortunately since I knew it was a signal quality issue from taking to tier-2 support for about an hour early this morning I knew the tech wouldn't be able to completely diagnose the problem.  He did his level best and couldn't have been nicer.

I stayed home today to take care of this.  I was up until 5 this morning working on it.  Nobody can tell me if the COX Solutions store has a replacement modem, I just have to go and see- if I can get there before they close at 7PM.

Allan

@bk_inAZ,

Please send us an email with your full name, address, and link to this thread so we can research and help resolve this issue on your behalf.

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.

bk_inAZ
      New Contributor

Well, I got the replacement on Thursday, and it was fried OOB.  So I went back the next morning and returned it.  The new one works when it's connected to a PC directly.  I also got two bad TP-Link routers (including a replacement), and now I have an Asus router on the way.  I hope that takes care of it all.

Allan

bk_inaz

Please let us know if this issue continues after getting the new equipment. We will be here to help.

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.