Forum Discussion

curly_fry
New Contributor II
8 months ago
Solved

External wifi router can't to get internet through cable modem, but can when passed through another router

My current wifi setup is an Orbi RBR10 wifi router connected via ethernet cord to an ancient Apple AirPort Time Capsule, which in turn is connected via an ethernet cord to an old Cisco DPO3212 (or maybe DPQ3212) cable modem. This setup is working fine, but the Time Capsule locks up often and has to be rebooted to get the wifi working again.

I want to remove the Time Capsule from the chain, but if I plug the Orbi router directly into the cable modem the wifi network no longer has an internet connection. It doesn't matter which ethernet cable I use to make the connection. All the articles I can find just imply that I should be able to plug the Orbi into the cable modem and it should work. I've tried rebooting everything after switching the connections.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on? Does this sound like a problem that can be fixed through technical support on the Cox side or the Orbi side?

• Reading what you've posted, it sounds like a simple case of the modem was not rebooted when connecting it to a different Ethernet device.  The modem will only provide a connection to whatever device was connected to the Ethernet port when it last booted up.  If you connect a different PC/router/etc., rebooting your modem should make it work again.

Edit:

To add to my above post, if you're DPQ3212 has the battery backup installed (which as old as they are you may have actually gotten a battery backup with it), that'll also need to be pulled during a power cycle otherwise the modem won't actually lose power when the power cord is removed.

Darkatt
    8 months ago

There's a reset button on the back, all they have to do is press and hold it for 10 seconds. (Maybe less, but I like to be certain). 

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Reading what you've posted, it sounds like a simple case of the modem was not rebooted when connecting it to a different Ethernet device.  The modem will only provide a connection to whatever device was connected to the Ethernet port when it last booted up.  If you connect a different PC/router/etc., rebooting your modem should make it work again.

Edit:

To add to my above post, if you're DPQ3212 has the battery backup installed (which as old as they are you may have actually gotten a battery backup with it), that'll also need to be pulled during a power cycle otherwise the modem won't actually lose power when the power cord is removed.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

There's a reset button on the back, all they have to do is press and hold it for 10 seconds. (Maybe less, but I like to be certain). 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Good catch. Didn't consider the battery. If you swap the DPQ3212 for a TM3402, it won't have a battery.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

That's why I am keeping my 3212. it ONLY has phone on it, and I have a battery.

curly_fry
    New Contributor II

SOLVED. Thanks everyone for your help! The Orbi was already configured as a router so it turned out I just needed to hold the reset button on the back of the cable modem to reset it after plugging the Orbi into it. The modem does have a battery backup so it wasn't properly resetting just by unplugging it.

curly_fry
      New Contributor II

Oh, and I would upgrade to newer equipment but I'm selling this house and temporarily moving into a rental with wifi provided, so I won't need my own equipment for a while.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

First, unrelated to your problem, I suggest upgrading the Cisco DPQ3212 phone modem to the newer Arris TM3402. This should be a free upgrade you can do at your closest Cox store. Make sure it's that model and not the Panoramic gateway which they will try to upsell you too.

Second, to be clear, are you going DPQ3212 > Time Capsule(router) > Orbi RBR10(AP mode)? If not how do you have the devices configured?

Sounds to me like the problem is you are trying to connect a AP to a modem with no router in between. See instructions here to change RBR10 from AP mode to router mode. The instructions are actually to turn it to AP mode but same concept. After doing that reboot the DPQ3212, wait for it to be up and then reboot the RBR10.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

WMO has it right, ther Orbi should connect direct to the modem, everything else goes through the orbi. FYI unless you have a huge hiome, the orbi mesh is probably unnecessary AND slower than a standard wifi router, look into the RAXE300. 

curly_fry
      New Contributor II

I do have a huge home, and I went with a mesh because my teenage daughter couldn't get good enough signal in her bedroom on the far side of the house.