Forum Discussion

curly_fry
New Contributor II
9 months ago
Solved

External wifi router can't to get internet through cable modem, but can when passed through another router

My current wifi setup is an Orbi RBR10 wifi router connected via ethernet cord to an ancient Apple AirPort Time Capsule, which in turn is connected via an ethernet cord to an old Cisco DPO3212 (or ma...
    9 months ago

Reading what you've posted, it sounds like a simple case of the modem was not rebooted when connecting it to a different Ethernet device.  The modem will only provide a connection to whatever device was connected to the Ethernet port when it last booted up.  If you connect a different PC/router/etc., rebooting your modem should make it work again.

Edit:

To add to my above post, if you're DPQ3212 has the battery backup installed (which as old as they are you may have actually gotten a battery backup with it), that'll also need to be pulled during a power cycle otherwise the modem won't actually lose power when the power cord is removed.

Darkatt
    9 months ago

There's a reset button on the back, all they have to do is press and hold it for 10 seconds. (Maybe less, but I like to be certain).