Forum Discussion

DLabit29
Contributor
4 years ago

Electrical flicker affecting internet?

Out of curiosity... can electrical flickering (whether it be briefly dimming or briefly getting brighter) interfere with internet speeds?.

More specifically, upload speeds and ping spikes

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • DLabit29,

I think it would depend on how sensitive your equipment is to power fluctuations. An uninterruptible power supply (UPS) would probably mitigate any effect that flickering power might be having on your service.

-Colleen
    Cox Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you notice your electricity flickering and dimming, you're lucky to be communicating at all.  The inconsistent levels may not be enough to reboot your equipment but if your modem is receiving reduced power, one could assume the strength of your upload signal is also reduced.  Capacitors are suppose to "fill the gaps" but if the dimming outpaces its charge, you'd get weak power.

A UPS could bridge your levels but how widespread is this problem...at your neighborhood node, headend at Cox, Edge routers?

Where do you live...California?

DLabit29
      Contributor

So a UPS could mitigate the issue? 

Because upload speed inconsistencies are my biggest issue

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

If you don't normally lose power due to the flickers, a UPS wouldn't help.  Perhaps an AC Line Filter on the modem.

DLabit29
      Contributor

I'm not sure how widespread it is. Its just my home I believe. Its an old house.

I live in Louisiana 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

If your household wiring is so old to cause your lights to dim and flicker, why are you concerned with broadband upload speeds?  Call an electrician.  Call 3 because you'd want multiple quotes.