Forum Discussion

scesposito
New Contributor
2 years ago

Downgrade in service requires Upgrade to fiber optic, Why?

I contact COX via chat to downgrade from 150mbps (69.99/mo) to 100 mbps (49.99) and that apparently requires me to upgrade to fiber optic for $100 installation fee. Seems disingenuous to require an upgrade to downgrade service!

Also, It's not clear, what a fiber optic upgrade entails inside the house? I only have 1 of 4 coaxial cable that is live, as I only have internet.

has anyone else experienced this?

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Phone reps are sales.  Send an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name and complete address to downgrade.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

If fiber is a option in your area I would upgrade ASAP. As for installation, if it's FTTH they would install a ONT which handles the fiber to ethernet conversion. Then you can either rent their gateway or use any stand alone router. Modem/router combo(except the ones Cox use specailly) won't work with fiber.

So yea, kind of shady to require a upgrade for downgrade but perhaps it's a blessing in disguise. 

PS. Does anyone know HOW a gateway like the Technicolor CGM4331 can work with fiber? It seems to use a ethernet connection to a LAN port but does that work WAN wise? Does it use a special config. file custom to fiber?

scesposito
      New Contributor

so I have and Orbi combo - are you saying it wouldn’t work with the Fiber Optic?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        Orbi combo

Nope, won't work. Requires a router with a WAN port. You are probably better off with a stand alone router too because then you can control the firmware.