Forum Discussion

RockMan
New Contributor
12 months ago
Solved

When will DOCSYS 3.1 routers be required?

I was insulted today by Cox tech reps (3 of them). My 2014 docsys 3.0 Netgear wifi router would not maintain internet (30 sec.s on, 90 sec.s off, then auto-repeat/retries). Was told by them that I need a docsys 3.1 router. I may now not have internet and email access, both of which are critical for managing my very ill daughter's health and financing plus my own financing, until I obtain and install a 3.1 router. Baloney!!!

Cox should be sending everyone MONTHLY emails telling us approximately when docsys 3.0 is no longer supported. Spent over 30 minutes total with 3 tech.s this morning.

THEN, wonderously, my internet connection is fully back, fully working a few hours after buying a new docsys 3.1 router online.

Good grief, Cox! You really *** at this internet stuff.

• your D3.0 MODEM should be fine, call back to tech support, and request Escalation to CAG. If it's not staying on line, there's a problem, verify all connections, replace your cable wire, perform a factory reset on your WiFi modem, and re-set it up. If you have any splitters change them out. 

www.cox.com/.../cox-certified-cable-modems.html

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

your D3.0 MODEM should be fine, call back to tech support, and request Escalation to CAG. If it's not staying on line, there's a problem, verify all connections, replace your cable wire, perform a factory reset on your WiFi modem, and re-set it up. If you have any splitters change them out. 

www.cox.com/.../cox-certified-cable-modems.html

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Misinformation from Cox aside, which modem/router did you go with? Maybe Cox upgraded your area, that caused the down time and for Cox to push DOCSIS3.1 devices.

RockMan
    New Contributor

Since my OP:

1. Full internet came back for about 5 hours (until 4 pm on 5/9), then "broke" and stayed "broke" until bedtime.

2. Since 5:30 am today, 5/10, I have full internet again. (I even extremely, foolishly allowed a Win 11 "Because It's Tuesday" update this morning. Immediately regretted doing so, because what if internet fails and my laptop enters an infinite update loop?; but I digress.)

3. I checked for loose connections. There were none. There were also none 3 years ago when the same scenario occurred, only that time a Cox tech mumbled something about a database setting on my account/connection getting flipped/fat-***. His actions to correct said database completely and immediately restored my internet access.

4. After both Darkatt's post and reading Tom's Guide re docsis 3.0 vs 3.1, am convinced that DOCSIS 3.1 is NOT required for anyone not needing higher speed/performance than 3.0

5. I conclude that some snafu at Cox similar to 3 years ago caused my temporary loss of internet. My cable tv feed on same coax is fine. Cable tv is MASSIVE amount of digital video, Internet traffic is none such.

6. I wasted $140 on a refurbished docsis 3.1 wifi router because of Cox tech advise. Let's see how will it works come Monday, as shipping was extended three additional days. Thank the Almighty for His role in my internet now working.

RockMan
      New Contributor

fat - f i n g e r e d, meaning "a wrong key sequence was pressed".

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

The amount of traffic has nothing to do with it, because the traffic is all on differing frequencies. Internet is one set of frequencies, cable tv,,another set, Telephone, again, another set. Also, each channel on tv, is a different frequency from the other, except in the shared frequency situation for smaller channels. 

Lovemylab
      Contributor III

I was required to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 when my plan expired and I had to pick a new plan and wanted 500 mbps, even though my DOCSIS 3.0 unit should have been fine. I had to purchase it and bring it into the Cox store so they could physically see it before they would switch my plan. I was frustrated, but it worked out. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

I think there is Ultimate Classic(300down/30up) and Ultimate(500Mbps down/10up). For Classic you need a D3.1 modem or gateway but for Ultimate you only need a 24x8 or above D3.0 modem/gateway. See here. Also, in some areas Ultimate upload has been increased to 50Mbps, which you need a D3.1 modem for AND a upstream OFDM channel.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

To answer your OP's question, I think DOCSIS 3.0 will be around for a while because I think the cable boxes use D3.0 modems for their internet connection to launch apps. It will at least be around until D4.0 is pushed out.