Forum Discussion

denny56vbn
New Contributor
2 years ago

Data usage report at web site

I have 1280GB per month of streaming data( Bandwidth?) plan with Cox. Each month i get very close to it.Each day it runs from 30GB to 50GB. I think this is way too much. Even though i have 7 devices accesing the Interent through the  wifi, none play games , watch sporting events, etc. The 3 TV's that are used with wifi are all 720P video quality. My Cox Modem indicates only the total data usage per day, not each device usage. Question number one, do i assume that Cox report on data is accurate, and number 2, how can I get daily data reports on each device , on a windows 10 oc?

4 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

If you are using a Panoramic Modem, you can use the Cox Panoramic WiFi app and it will detail how much data each separate device is using. 

Here is some basic info though. If you are streaming netflix in HD, you are using between 2.4-3 GB per hr. IF you are streaming in 4k, it can average 7-8 GB per hour. When I binge watched, "The Blacklist", I pulled over 100gb of data in a day. (Shoulder surgery, and was laid up, couldn't even use the computer.  Streaming media is by far one of the highest contributors to data usage. BTW, if you have a ring doorbell, that can use data up, AND,  if you have amazon echo, or dots, they can get into a loop listening and translating what is being said, even by the TV. try shutting them all down for a day or two. You won't be able to call out to the echo to check the weather or whatever, but if your data usage drops significantly, then you know that was contributing to the issue. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

I found this page which describes the process in a little more detail.

1. Tap Overview tab.
      2. At the top of the screen, tap View Network Details
        Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Also forgot, with IOS and Android devices, they will backup to the cloud, and if you have one drive installed, it can use 30 or more gigs a day as another person here found out. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

There was a report of some unknown bandwidth category that is bloating some user's bandwidth. Check out the bandwidth category to see if you see "Network Management and Testing".