Forum Discussion

iamkimchi
New Contributor III
8 months ago

CoxWIFI is slow on Laptop, Fine on Mobile

If I connect to the CoxWIFI hotspot on my phone, it seems fine.  Can surf internet, watch a youtube video just fine.

If I try and connect on my laptop, I have issues.  Data Packet loss, high latency, DNS server unable to be resolved, etc.  What's the point in paying for the service if it barely works or only works on my phone.  

It can't be congestion (it's 2am where I am, neighborhood isn't exactly filled with alot of people trying to connect to it). 

8 Replies

• Hello, I am sorry you are having these issues on your laptop with internet. I understand this can be very frustrating as I know I would be if my internet was not consistent. I do have a few questions to better understand your issues. Is it possible to hardline connect the laptop to the modem and run a speed test? Also, are you having connection issues on other devices? Is it also possible to run a speed test on the phone and see what the connection is on there? Thank you! 

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

They said WiFi hotspot, not their modem or personal WiFi. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

just a piece of insight. If it's working properly on one device, but not on another device, you MAY need to focuse on the device rather than the source. 

iamkimchi
    New Contributor III

Hello, I am sorry you are having these issues on your laptop with internet. I understand this can be very frustrating as I know I would be if my internet was not consistent. I do have a few questions to better understand your issues. Is it possible to hardline connect the laptop to the modem and run a speed test? Also, are you having connection issues on other devices? Is it also possible to run a speed test on the phone and see what the connection is on there? Thank you!

Using the speed test on Google for all tests
    Laptop Hardwired to MY network:  290 Mbps
    Laptop connected to CoxWIFI:  haha can't even get it to run
    Laptop connected to my wireless network:  132 Mbps
    Mobile phone connected to CoxWIFI: 41 Mbps
    Mobile phone connected to my network:  121 Mbps

just a piece of insight. If it's working properly on one device, but not on another device, you MAY need to focuse on the device rather than the source. 

Yeah, aware of that.  Laptop works fine wirelessly on my own wireless network, work, and other hotspots

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

he said WiFi HOTSPOT! NOT his WiFi at home.