Forum Discussion

buddymonster
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Confused about Gigablast modem

I am having the Fiber optic Gigablast (960mbps) installed in a couple of weeks.  I have the Fiber ran to the house and have an appointment in early september.  Here is my confusion, the phone rep informed me about needing a cable modem with a  Docsis 3.1 to met the standards for the GiG but when I when to the store the rep said I don't even need a cable modem as long as I have a Router with GiG capability.  The store rep stated the installation would come with a box (which I don't have to pay for, scary) that converts the sign from the fiber optic so that the router can use it and no modem needed.  What which is it modem or no modem.....installation $100.  Please clear up my confusion...my current modem (CM600) will need to be replaced if I need a modem.

thank  you in advance,

buddy

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you need answers in the future, I'd call the Store!

Mouth is correct about the conversion.  Internet connectivity for most customers is an electrical signal over coax or a telephone line.  However, your Internet connectivity will be an optical signal (light).  A DOCSIS modem receives electrical signals while an ONT receives optical signals.  The ONT will use your household AC to convert the optical signal to electrical and then hand off to your router.

The ONT would replace your CM600, so, Confused on Cox, your DOCSIS days are over!  (good thing)

buddymonster
      New Contributor II

Thank you, I just got of the phone with COX technical support and they said I need an ONT Modem.  I am going with no Modem.  Thank  you for your time....Cox gave me three different answers, no modem, ONT modem, cable modem.  

Again Thank you,

buddy

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I'm glad you got it somewhat sorted.

You're correct with "no modem."  An ONT is not a modem and if Cox said, "ONT Modem," well, at least they've been consistent with their misinformation.

An ONT uses light pulses and fiber-optic cable so it does not modulate the signal.  It's just called an ONT.  Your dial-up modem, cable modem, DOCSIS modem and modulation days are over.