Forum Discussion

ChesapeakeDiabl
New Contributor
8 months ago

Configuring Netgear Nighthawk R8000 Wifi Router

I've used a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 Wifi router for a couple years perfectly in conjunction with an older DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

It was time to replace the modem; at Cox's strenuous advise I went with a non-gateway modem.  Now the R8000 is not receiving an IP address.  The Cox chat technician stated they do not need to register the MAC address.  They are recommended I replace the WiFi router.

Anyone have any thoughts on why the R8000 will not receive a DHCP address?

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Can you get online if you connect the modem directly to a computer via ethernet? If not, what model modem do you have and did you register the CM-MAC with Cox? If so, do you have the WAN setting set to DHCP? Have you tried a factory reset on the router?

• Hardwired connection to my computer accesses the Internet perfectly (after registering its MAC address with Cox).  The WiFi router defaults to DHCP; only when it cannot get an address does it prompt to use a static IP address or PPPoE.  And yup, I factory reset the WiFi router.

ExtraChrispy
      Contributor III

Are you powering off the modem when you switch back and forth between direct to PC and router for testing?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

+1 for power cycle each time you change what the modem is plugged into for ethernet. If that doesn't work, check your IPv6 settings. Last, do you have another router to test with?