Forum Discussion

CuriousJ
Contributor
10 months ago

Netgear Nighthawk c7800

Modem/router combo. Purchased 2 years ago and Cox says I should replace it because I’m having WiFi issues. Shouldn’t a unit of this quality last longer than 2 years? I can’t decide whether to trust Cox or not. 

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Did Cox include "Panoramic" in their recommendation?

What WiFi issues are you experiencing?

CuriousJ
      Contributor

Slow speeds, both WiFi & Ethernet connected. Surprisingly they haven’t suggested Pano. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Contact netgear, Cox won't troubleshoot a 3rd party device, unless you have paid for Complete Care, and then they will transfer you to them. 

CuriousJ
      Contributor

You’re right, but their default always seems to be to buy/rent new equipment. 

Campmaster
    New Contributor III

My experience and posting with accompanying responses may be of some interest.. I had issues that I fixed (still working Darkatt and WMO!) with a clock switch timer. : Look for 

Modem and Router or Modem/Router?

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What kind of Wi-Fi issues are you having? Is it only effecting one band(2.4/5Ghz) or both? Also, what firmware are you running? The latest approved as per here is V6.01.07.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Ethernet issues too?  I'd do a speed test with a wired device, disconnect all other devices from the router, turn off WiFi and post results.  You want the one testing device to have all your available bandwidth.

JRkc89
    New Contributor

New NETGEAR products come with a one-year warranty and 90 days of complimentary 24/7 technical support.  I have a nighthawk r8000p and when it failed to load an update to fix a problem I was SOL.  I rely more on my netgear working right than on Cox's internet working right.  If your hardwired and getting slow speeds that's more likely on their side.