Forum Discussion

Gary_Jarlson
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Block IP (CXBL)

My IP has been blocked (CXBL) so that I can't send emails. On four occasions that I dealt with Support, I was told the problem has been resolved and to wait an hour for the fix to take effect. The problem was not resolved. On my fifth call with Support I was told I have to file  written request to have the block lifted. The request requires information such as name, email address, domain IP/CIDR and a description of the issue. It also suggests that the request be done by an email administrator (where do I find one of those?) And then it gives me an email link to where I should send my request. What part of "I can't send email" is not being understood. Is there a way to deal with a different level of support than what you get with a regular phone call?

26 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

First, CXBL is received when your IP is blocked because it was seen "exhibiting spam-like behavior". Do you use your email for business or sending a mailing list? Do you use a VPN? Do you send a LOT of mail? Any current/recent malware infections? Just trying to think of common reasons Cox would block your IP.

As for requesting to be unblocked I suggest using a alternate email like Gmail or Yahoo and send to unblock.request@cox.net. Or if possible, use Cox webmail. It breaks downs what information you have to send. Did you have any specific questions about those requests? The domain would be cox.net and the IP/CIDR would be the IPv4 address found at sites like IPchicken.com. Everything else should be self explanatory. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Your IP may be blocked, BUT, if the Cox Server isn't blocked, then CXBL isn't going to affect you. It ONLY affects your IP address, if you are running your own mail server. 

If you are not running a mail server, and you are sending email through Cox, then the IP address seen by the receiving mail system is Cox's. 

Unless, the block is something IN your particular email... How about some more information so we can help. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

If OP has a mail server shouldn't they be using that SMTP server and not Coxes?

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

If they were they would be blocked by both the CXBL and the Spamhaus Project PBL, that lists the IP addresses of most residential modems, to block for use in sending emails. 

Gary_Jarlson
      New Contributor II

I'm not certain what action I need to take when you say "delete the account from mail software" When I go to Accounts or preferences the only possible path I see is a check-box item that says "Enable this account."