Forum Discussion

josek2
New Contributor
2 years ago

Being hit with DDOS attacks. Need advice.

I am being hit with DDOS attacks. I spoke with about 6 cox agents and they all refuse to do anything about it. It's clear they don't know what a DDOS attack is. What are my options? I've asked them to issue me a new public IP and they have all refused. A couple have said it's impossible and requires me to buy a new modem from them. I know that's not true.

https://imgur.com/a/PYEgpvL

https://imgur.com/a/qnB0KOY

Sometimes the internet just shuts down for a few seconds, 24/7, every 6 minutes on the clock.

Other times, it shuts down for 10+ minutes.

Router logs make it clear what's happening.

I tried to post this here once, and in more detail, but Cox deleted it saying it was. Perhaps it works better if I post the logs in image format. I am too lazy to rewrite the original post.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    requires me to buy a new modem from them.

This is the part that confuses me. How would you buy a new modem? You get yours as a free lease. Also, what would buying a new modem do for changing your IP? The modem just acts as a bridge for DHCP between your router and Cox's DHCP server. I just can't fathom Cox motive to get you to buy a new modem. Maybe a new router but not a modem.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What model modem and router do you have? Try cloning your PC MAC to your router and then reboot the modem. That should change your IP. If you have a gateway the only work around I have heard of is to disconnect your service in such a way that it locks you into their walled garden(172.x.x.x IP) and then reprovison you. This "should" change your IP but YMMV.

josek2
      New Contributor

Router: Netgear R6120 (Self owned)

Modem: Arris TM3402A (Cox owned)

I am not familiar with MAC cloning. This will change my public WAN IP, and not my LAN IP, correct?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        Router: Netgear R6120 (Self owned)

See instructions here for MAC cloning. 

This will change my public WAN IP, and not my LAN IP, correct?

Correct. Just your WAN IP.