Forum Discussion

blueeyessd84
New Contributor
4 years ago

500 MBPS Lie

Sales team lied about 500 mbps service.  Was told if I upgraded to 500 mbps that I could connect unlimited devices. Now as per Internet technical support, unless you have the "Unlimted Data" plan, you cannot connect as many devices as you like, but if you connect more than 8-10 your speed will slow down.  Go figure, ANOTHER was Cox finds to gouge you for inferior service. I guess they like taking advantage of ppl that have to work from home due to Covid.  Par for the course of the big tech companies.

6 Replies

Dave9
    Contributor III

The line about 8-10 devices is a rule of thumb for people who don't understand how bandwidth works. There is no limit or slowdown directly related to number of devices connected. You can connect as many devices as you want and you can use up to 500 Mbit down and 10 Mbit up. If 2 devices each use 250 Mbit, then you can only connect 2 devices. If you have 50 devices and each uses 1 Mbit, you still have 450 Mbit left for more devices. Cox knows that most people don't know how much bandwidth their devices use so they make rules of thumb to help non-technical people understand.

blueeyessd84
      New Contributor

Dave, you failed to understand. I know all about bandwidth.  I used to work in Cox in HSI tech support.  The problem is that as per sales, I was bumped to 500 mbps and was told that I could connect unlimited devices with unlimited data.  But now, I'm being told that I have to "add" and "unlimited" plan to my 500 mbps in order to experience the full benefit of the plan.

Dave9
        Contributor III

Do you believe what sales is telling you? It sounds like they're just trying to upsell to meet their quota. Since you know about bandwidth and worked for Cox you know how the system really works and can ignore bad advice from sales.

milnerda
    New Contributor

That is the biggest lie they make. Mine just knock off line randomly. Every time I get on with my computer it randomly runs slow or locks up. As soon as ATT gets optical in my area all of my phone, internet and tv gets switch no matter what it cost.