Forum Discussion

khingora
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Intermittent Internet - Drops During Gaming - Problems for about 1.5 Months Now

Hello,

Starting about a month and a half ago, I started dropping and having significant lag spikes during gaming. Speedtests were only giving me 30 Mbps down even though I have a 300 Mbps connection. Lets fast-forward to now, where after possibly upwards of 10 calls to technical service, 3 site visits, 2 modem replacements (currently using the old Arris because I've had 3 replacements alone of their 'sleek' looking panoramic), I am back where I started.

In sum: the tech support on the phone are more receptive to my issues and understand/see the drop. However, when the technicians come, they are all programmed to ask the same questions and essentially do nothing about the issue. Even though the work order might have told them to do about 5 different things, they come in and blabber the following:

1. "I plugged in my machine here and it's all green tests. This looks good to me, you try hooking it up with a cable?"
    1. I've had a USB 3.0 WiFi adapter in a tiny apartment that has always read me my 300 MBPS down speed. The whole point of the issue is that it is intermittent, so in that moment, their little speed checker might be fine, but if they were to stay and run it for 10 minutes, they would notice, However, of course they need the turnover so they want to leave immediately. GREAT.
  2. "I will check the line downstairs, I can't check the main line cause look at my truck I ain't got a ladder."
    1. Even though it was put in the order to check the main neighborhood line.
  3. "The work order just says to replace the modem."
    1. I asked for the old Arris twice, but they brought the same, refurbished, Panoramic modem, which my guess is the reason it's in their truck is because at some point it crapped out, was 'fixed', and then to save costs they bring it back out again to some poor customer like myself, and pass on the misery.

Of course the drops are evident in the ping tests to the Americas Blizzard servers (I play Overwatch and Starcraft II), and also noticeable on Spotify for some reason.

To be honest, I completely feel like I am paying for a service I can barely use due to the drops. When you drop out of games like that you also face possible temporary bans for things, and in this case I am in that position because of something that is out of my control. 

I am also using an ISP that I am essentially forced to use, because Louisiana. (Lafayette had the right idea, government opened their own internet line and it was so much faster and reliable, but of course these big companies do what they do best, shoot themselves in the foot, and pass laws to kill this because $$$).

But I digress. COX, please, I will be the the most exemplary customer, and even be in your advertisements and root for you, if you can provide me with internet that stays connected for a full 24 hours, since you know, technically that's the service I'm paying for.

Sincerely,

Me.

No RepliesBe the first to reply