Forum Discussion

Grace_Grasska
New Contributor
11 months ago

Putting service on hold

We have sold our home and most likely will be moving from our current location in about 2 months.  We have not yet purchased a new home so will temporarily being staying with our son.  I have been on several chats with Cox and keep getting different answers.  We are not sure how long it will be until we find our new home and can transfer our services.  Since our son also has Cox, we will just connect to his internet.  The only thing we were concerned about was our email.  We didn't want to lose our email addresses or lose access to them as we use them to access many sites and also to get notifications regarding medications, etc..  We had considered putting our account on hold but one agent told us that if we did that we would not be able to access our emails even through webmail since our internet would also be on hold.  Then another agent told me today that we would be able to just put our TV and phone on hold and keep our internet active (even though we would not use it or have it connected at our son's home.  The agent said this would enable us to use webmail from our son's home to get access to our emails.  This sounds like the perfect solution but I am concerned about which agent to believe.  I don't want to wait until the last minute and then find out that won't work either.  

Has anyone else had this situation and would be willing to offer suggestions. 

Thanks,

Grace

8 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Call tech support, WITH your son there since he will have to verify his account, and then request escalation to CAG, and they can move your email addresses to your sons account, as long as he doesn't have 10 email addresses used already, or the combinations of yours and his doesn't go over 10. You CANNOT place your account on hold, since it needs a physical address to be associated with, and if the people who bought your home, signs up with Cox, then your account on hold gets turned off. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      and if the people who bought your home, signs up with Cox

Good point, didn't consider that. Under normal conditions, does the hold process still work? Is that page accurate?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

The page is fine but the key phrase in Seasonal Hold is "...when you return [to your house]..."

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

One thing I would do is set up a mail client with IMAP to download a copy of your email incase it gets lost.

As for putting your account on hold, see page here for info. You should be able to put it on hold from 30 days to 9 months. You should also have access to webmail during this time.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You don't qualify for Seasonal Hold because you sold your house.  Seasonal Hold assumes you're still living at your current address.  Meaning, you'll eventually return to the address, continue the same service and resume paying your bill.

If you sold your house without transferring your Cox service to a new address, you basically canceled your service.  However, if you pay via EasyPay, I'm sure Cox will gladly keep fully charging you until you return their equipment.

If you cancel your service, Cox will keep your email account active for 90 for you to create a new account.  Use this time at your son's house to transfer your email service to another provider.  This stinks but you're essentially homeless and you can't have Cox service without a house.

Where are your cable-box, telephone modem and, if applicable, Panoramic router?