Forum Discussion

FWB_customer
New Contributor
7 years ago

Problems with Contour 2 DVR

I'm on the second Contour 2 DVR box since it came out a couple months ago.  I swapped out the first one at the suggestion of tech support, having the issues I describe below, but the second box has the same issues.  I've had 2 technicians come to my house to check things out in person.  I've scheduled the DVR to record shows as "new episodes" only (no repeats) on HD preferred, however it still cues up old shows which aren't new.  Case in point: Chicago PD.  I've asked it to record "new only" and it will record the new episodes, however it also has scheduled to record 20 episodes which are reruns on channel 1340/Oxygen (Ft Walton Beach, FL area), starting at 5 am on Tuesday March 21 through 2 am on March 21.  If I check the info on on one of these reruns, it does not say "Repeat."  It's not classifed as either new or repeat as some shows are.

Another case in point: Tosh.O, and I've scheduled it to record "new only" and It has cued up to record 25 episodes on channel 1056/Comedy starting at 11 am on March 25 through 10:30 pm.  

This also happened with Ridiculousness where it cued up to record over 20 episodes of reruns.  I cancelled that recording altogether.   

If I leave this alone, the DVR will end up recording close to 60 reruns of the shows I want.   The technician who came to my house and saw this issue said he thinks it's a "glitch" that Cox will push an update on later to "hopefully fix this problem."  

Another issue I'm having with the new DVR box is that sometimes when I turn on "All Power" which will turn on my TV and I suppose wake up the DVR, is that there will not be a TV signal going to my TV.  It's just a screen on my TV which says "No Signal."  In this case I have to either reset the box (either go online and ask it to send a signal to reset, or unplug the power), or lately I've had to press the blue illuminated power button on the box to turn it off and then back on again for it to send the signal to my TV.  The technician said to set the power preferences to always on, as in do not go into power save, but that hasn't fixed the problem.  Along those lines, why have a power save option if I can't use it either?

Any thoughts or suggestions?  This is all very frustrating.  I like the new Contour 2, but I never had these issues with my previous Cox DVR.

18 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    mattyro
    New Contributor II

The handshake between your Contour and your tv is not happening. As you have learned the tv must be on when the box fires up. try using channel up or down and then turn the tv on. the tv will be gewtting a signal and recognize your contour.

Corgi
    New Contributor

thanks.  Will try your solution next time it happens, which is almost every day.  If that doesn't work, I could also try turning on the TV first by itself, then the box.  

Corgi
    New Contributor

I tried the channel up button, but box did not come on..However, found out if I pressed one of the number buttons, the box would turn on from power save and then turning on the TV with only the TV power button solved the problem.  No more issues with the dreaded "no signal"!  Thanks for your tip. 

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      Hi Corgi, Glad you were able to find a resolution please let us know if you have further issues. Jonathan J Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • I've noticed that if a show is not tagged or designated "Repeat" on the guide, the DVR schedules it to record the episode, but in my case it schedules an entire day of episodes (has been the case with Chicago PD and now an entire lineup of Whose Line is it Anyway on channel 1368 UPHD in Ft Walton Beach, FL - 26 episodes starting at 7:59 on Monday 30 April straight through to 2:00 am on 1 May).  When I press info on these scheduled episodes, it does not say "New" or "Repeat."  I have set my DVR to record New episodes only, which it does.  Now it appears that if the episode is not tagged as a Repeat, the DVR tries to record it like it does a new episode.

MariaL
      Hi FWB customer, Since the broadcast of Chicago PD and Whose Line Is It Anyway are in syndication, in order to record the current episodes, you will need to record the series from the guide. For example, the newest episodes for Chicago PD will air on NBC on May 2nd. From the guide, you will select the show, select Record and then All Episodes. The Record options will reflect Record – New Episodes Only and Channels – NBC Network for your area. Currently, your series recording for Chicago PD the channel will reflect HD Only. You would follow the same steps for Whose Line Is It Anyway. Maria L. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    jjvolk
    New Contributor

I've noticed that several shows on different channels take a re-run and add a few minutes of EXTRA CONTENT to it and it shows up as NEW in the Cable listing although it is a re-run. Perhaps this is part of the issue of the Contour box recording a re-run show as NEW?

ColleenD
      Jjvolk, Guide information is provided with the feed by the broadcaster. I'm not sure why any station would mark a syndicated show as new if they are showing re-runs.