Forum Discussion

Perplexed_User
New Contributor III
7 years ago
Solved

Changing from Contour 1 to Contour 2 - Regrets?

My Contour 1 box freezes occasionally and requires a reboot.  After two service calls the rep said that Contour 2 is better and said that I should switch. I read about the program search and new features which I don't need.  I read online that Contour 2 freezes too.  Is there a software upgrade that will fix Contour 1?  I want to keep some recorded programs that feature a family member.  Are there any fees involved if I do switch?

• @Perplexed User You can opt for a self install to avoid professional installation of Contour 2. However, the self installation is limited to no more than 4 boxes. Also, sine the boxes will need to be replaced, you will lose all recordings that you currently have.
    DavidA2
    7 years ago
    @Perplexed User We do not currently have a way to preserve the programs. We do not show much of a change in problems between the Contour 1 and Contour 2 platforms.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • @Perplexed User You can opt for a self install to avoid professional installation of Contour 2. However, the self installation is limited to no more than 4 boxes. Also, sine the boxes will need to be replaced, you will lose all recordings that you currently have.
      Perplexed_User
      New Contributor III

Allen,

I have three boxes. Thank you for the tip.

Is there a way to preserve my programs? 

Have you experienced any problems with Contour 2?

DavidA2
        Former Moderator
        @Perplexed User We do not currently have a way to preserve the programs. We do not show much of a change in problems between the Contour 1 and Contour 2 platforms.
    magienoire
    New Contributor II

We had same issues with our original cox boxes and had to switch them out a couple years ago.  I was told by the rep that the older version boxes were discontinued and were obsolete and that with the new Contour, we could set up separate viewing profiles for different members of the family.  That was a lie.  We also lost our ability to have closed captioning come on automatically when the tv is muted.  We still are not happy with the new Contour, but Cox has a monopoly so we stay, for now.

Perplexed_User
      New Contributor III

Do you have to reboot the new Contour boxes?  If so how often?

magienoire
        New Contributor II

They actually reboot themselves every night.  That's another thing we don't like, is the display is way too bright in a dark room, even on the dimmest setting.  The older boxes gave us the option to not have the clock on, and weren't nearly as bright.

Every once in a while we do have to manually reboot, but not too often.