Forum Discussion

coach-c
New Contributor
2 years ago

Single email reappears after it's been deleted.

I have one email message in my in box that keeps reappearing after I delete it. I've deleted using webmail, tried moving it to another folder, and within minutes, it reappears as a new message. And yes, the copy is still in the folder I moved it to. I'm at wit's end. How can I get this email permanently deleted?

12 Replies

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Check the date/times received.  If the times are different, the new message is a new email.  Create a rule to discard messages with conditions matching that email.  If the date/times received are the same, something else is happening.  

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Do you have Webmail linked to another account, such as Gmail or Yahoo?

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Instead of deleting the message outright, try dragging the message to your deleted items folder and dropping it there and see if that removes it. 

coach-c
      New Contributor

I have done all the above.  The exact email keeps returning, with the same date and time.  I have tried dragging it to another folder.  The copy of the email goes into the folder, but shortly thereafter the same email reappears in my in box as unread.

It is not linked to any other account.  Normally I access my email using IMAP on Outlook, but when the email kept reappearing, I went in and deleted it using webmail, with the same results.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

After you delete the email, open your Trash folder and delete it from there too.  Exit and re-open Webmail.  Did the email return?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You have either a rule or filter to move the email to the inbox after an action.  Review your rules and filters.

CurtB
      Valued Contributor III

I thought about that.  But Filter Rules apply to incoming email, rather than an action taken.   There does appear to be some type of script in use though.

coach-c
      New Contributor

There are no rules or filters in place.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Is it spam?  Where is it from?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If you search this discrepancy, there are a lot of results affecting a multitude of platforms.  This isn't new.  One thought was a storage limit for the Trash folder.  I thought there was only a limit for the entire profile but apparently an admin could have inadvertently set a limit on a particular server or account(s).

This seems odd in the realm of administration, but I recently had some weird sub-folders suddenly appear in my Trash folder.  I didn't create these sub-folders and then delete.  Somebody or something created and then deleted these folders.  It had to be an administrator tinkering on the server.  The link is an image of these weird folders.

You can sort the content of your Trash folder by size.

Another thought was the IMAP setting in your Outlook.  Try deleting this IMAP connection, deleting the email in Webmail and if it's gone, rebuild your IMAP connection in Outlook.

These are just stabs in the dark but there is something corrupt affecting this one email from Best Western.  It seems as though it's caught in this weird volley of rules.  You have no rules other than IMAP.  Maybe you could also try to forward the email to yourself and then delete the forwarded email.  This may break the headers within the haunting original email.

forums.cox.com/.../Webmail.bmp