Forum Discussion

OzzieMike
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Recommended DOCSIS 3.1 Modem?

While I know Cox has a list of certified DOCSIS 3.1 modems, is there one of these modems that stands out above the others?  Or, perhaps, a 3.1 modem to steer clear of?

I'm considering upgrading my connection speed, and my Arris SB6183 modem won't handle anything above around 350 Gbps (if memory serves), so I know that, prior to upgrading my connection speed, I need to replace this Arris router with a reliable DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

Any recommendations?

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      OzzieMike
      New Contributor II

Allen...thank you.  Yes, I have already reviewed that list, but was hoping I could get some opinions on one or more over others.

LisaH
        Hi OzzieMike. I apologize that we are unable to advise you which modem to pick. I usually do research online before buying electronics. This allows me to make an informed decision. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It's the technology you should be considering and in this case, the technology is DOCSIS.  One manufacturer's technology isn't any better than another because DOCSIS is a standard or protocol.  Perhaps consider the latest version of this technology:  3.1.

I don't know if 1 manufacturer's hardware is any better than another because I'll assume all these boards, chips and connectors come from the same places.

As for the mixed reviews, I don't feel a lot of these reviewers know what they're talking about.  If they can't figure something or research a problem, they'll call the something junk.  Just because someone gave an opinion, it doesn't mean it's a credible opinion.

Stick with the "big" brands, future-proof with the latest version and you'll be okay.