Forum Discussion

skynetnv
New Contributor III
10 months ago
Solved

Prepaid: Provisioned wrong, website doesn't work to fix it

Interesting fact: I worked for Cox back when it was Cox@Home and was let go after helping people on the older version of these forums (that's not a typo).

This is the "Straight Up internet" specifically.  Designed to replace a reliable (but slow) CenturyLink DSL connection.  Which is what I had to use to post this.

Cox shipped a regular modem and the Panoramic.

I don't want, need or expect anything the Panoramic has to offer; and I definitely will not be creating a CoxWifi hotspot for people.  The opt-out instructions don't work and there's no physical way to disable this. 

So since they shipped a regular modem, cool, I'd like to use that.  Doesn't work, no internet.  Two green lights, no internet.

On the site it appears they provisioned the Panoramic (which makes me question why they shipped the regular modem).

Clicking "Add/Change Device" does nothing but refresh back to the main page. There's no way to fix this.

EDIT: this issue was resolved by Cox.help@cox.com.  It took them provisioning the standalone modem, then clearing the ARP cache for it to get it to recognize the router's MAC address properly.  No Panoramic, yay.

skynetnv
    10 months ago

I'm good to go now. 

They provisioned the modem, but then had to clear the ARP cache before everything started working, and I verified with speed test that all seems to be well.  I'm using it now to type this.

Appreciate everyone's replies.

58 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What model modem is the "modem"? It' is odd that they would give you a stand alone modem AND a gateway. Maybe a phone modem(eMTA)? Maybe the Arris TM3402? Either way, try asking for CAG or Tier 2. They should have access to Icoms and be able to manually provision your modem. If they can't or you can't get to them, try the moderators here at cox.help@cox.com.

Another option would be to use the gateway in bridge mode and disable the hotspot

BTW, can you tell us more about why you were let go and what you did for Cox? Some of us are past employees too so you are in good company. 

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      They should have access to Icoms and be able to manually provision your modem.

darkatt Could you confirm that for me? Does Tier 2/CAG have access to ICOMS? Am I sending OP on a wild goose chase?

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

yes, they actually still have access to icoms.

skynetnv
      New Contributor III

Icoms.  Haven't heard that in decades.  Interesting it still exists.

The modem is a Technicolor-something.  Generic, no external branding.  Not sure why they shipped both but I don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

As for disabling that's what I mean.  The setting it mentions doesn't exist - and I'm not sitting on hold for 45 minutes.

As for why I was let go, it's as I said: I was let go because I helped people on the forum. I'm serious.  That's literally what they told me.  Even though in the actual handbook it listed forums as a support outlet we were required to do.

(As an aside, my supervisor, who wasn't informed about what had happened until afterwards, ended up leading up a lawsuit against Cox for a different reason, and I got the impression that the leadership at the time wasn't really ethical.)  That was back when Cox@Home was really new; large white buildings in the middle of nowhere with no logo or branding, super security to get in, tinted windows, etc.  When DSL ran the game but @Home was starting to make headway.  I was on the support side, at the time the only person in that building who could support Apple customers.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor
        The modem is a Technicolor-something.

The model number would be helpful. Try looking on it for a label with the MAC address. Should also be a model number and/or FCC ID. If you can't find it, can you take a picture? You can find a list(with pictures) of all the modems and gateways here. The only Technicolor I see are the Panoramic gateways so how does it differ from that? I am trying to understand why they sent you two devices and how that relates to your problem. 

As for your situation at Cox, that sounds unfortunate. Sounds like what I suspect happened with one of the last employee/engineer on DSLReports. I thought I had belonged to this forum since it existed but you are saying it existed before Cox.com? Do you happen to have the website? I would love to look at it in the Wayback Machine. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I found this, which may be relevant. Does Cox give out stand alone modems and routers now?

"No installation fees - Cox provides you a free modem and router or gateway, and an Easy Connect Kit that you can use at any time."

curtis27
      New Contributor

I don't trust their modem....after all the efforts in surveillance and data collection that have been going on by big corp/gov collusion, do you really think im gonna trust their vendor provided hardware/software to be secure and not be a data collector and enable remote control like google ring? YEA>>>RIGHT! BBB isn't who you need to contact, it is the STATE CORPORATE COMMISION.

curtis27
        New Contributor

and your state rep! ring their phones off the hook!

skynetnv
      New Contributor III

The only part that's inaccurate is the local store part - they had no idea what I was talking about.  Which is unfortunate, because I'd planned to prepay cash for 6 months because I'm not doing EasyPay and have my card get breached.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Seems like a lot of add-ons for prepaid Internet service.

skynetnv
      New Contributor III

I didn't start with chat.  I did the self-install steps for the modem, the problem is the online portal shows the Panoramic as the one activated and it can't be changed to the regular modem (which is why it's strange they even bothered shipping the regular modem at all).

I did chat first to see if they could just change to the modem, but the guy never responded.

Did phone, got the 45-minute quote, and that wasn't going to fly.  So now I'm seeing if there's a way to get it fixed here, else I'll wait for BBB to get a POC to work with.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

When I got my eMTA, I was supposed to schedule a self-install.  However, the Solution Store didn't mention this nor did the rep schedule it for me after issuing the eMTA.

After my self-install didn't work, I called Cox and as soon as I felt a tinge of incompetency, I hung up, called again and got another rep from another part of the country.

Sending an email to cox.help@cox.com with your full name and complete address may get your standalone modem activated.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

With StraightUp Internet, it appears you can only disable the HotSpot (Cox Wifi) via the Cox Website or calling Cox Customer Care "...at the number listed on your order confirmation..."

"you will have the opportunity at any time you subscribe to the Services to opt out of participation in and/or use of the Cox Supplied or Customer Equipment for, the Cox wifi services through the customer account management tools on the Cox Website or by calling Cox Customer Care at the number listed on your bill."

Search for Cox Wifi:

www.cox.com/.../straightup-internet-customer-agreement.html

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Do you know if the hotspot is even enabled on a gateway that isn't Panoramic compatible?

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

"...In addition to the foregoing, you agree that Cox may send software, firmware, code updates, downloads and/or other programs to the Cox Supplied Equipment and/or Customer Equipment and may utilize all such equipment, attached wiring and power supply to distribute external Wi-Fi signals for deployment of Cox's wifi services, including for purposes of offering StraightUp Internet Hotspot Pass and public wifi access via any Cox wifi..."