Forum Discussion

mto123
New Contributor II
2 years ago

Pop.cox.net Down

I have multiple reports from cox webmail account holders, that their POP email isn't working. They can send email fine as smtp.cox.net works fine, but they aren't receiving new emails.

When attempting to ping pop.cox.net I get the following.

ping pop.cox.net

Pinging pop3.east.rs.oxcs.net [198.61.137.172] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

This is in Phoenix, AZ.  Please resolve as no tech support person is willing to address it.  Thank you.

35 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Unnecessary. Use port 465/SSL, and 995/SSL 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

This is a user helping user forum but thanks for the tip. However I think POP not being pingable is normal. Looks like IMAP.cox.net is pingable to me. Does IMAP work?

mto123
      New Contributor II

yes it works.  I would move them to that, but they would have to go through thousands of emails that haven't been cleared on the server or read.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

If you are looking for support from Cox you can email them at cox.help@cox.com . I don't have Cox email so I can't test. My main suggestion is to move your users off Cox email. Not only is outsourced(as you can see when pinging) but Cox is slowly removing support of it. Not saying you shouldn't contact Cox for a ETR but maybe make the suggestions to your users in general.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Pop.cox.net works just fine. Cox uses BOTH POP, (Post Office Protocol), and IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol). Any information to the contrary is inaccurate. 

BTW, 2 of my accounts are POP and they work just fine, You may NOT be able to ping the server, it's programmed NOT to respond. 

DaveInLV
    New Contributor III

I am in Las Vegas, NV, a 20-odd years customer of Cox, and this is my problem too, exactly. 

It started last Monday, April 10.  My Thunderbird could send but not receive mail.  I first thought perhaps it was some Internet connection problem but the usual nostrum of turning the Modem/Router off and on and even computer restart did not help.  Ping to POP.COX.NET server got automatically redirected to POP3.EAST.RS.OXCS.NET and timed out. Ping to IMAP.COX.NET and SMTP.COX.NET worked though. 

I had several chat sessions with the Client Disservice.  The first one ended with the soothing message "I was able to confirm that the pop.cox.net server is having a little update and we hope that by the end of the day this issue is fixed".  Of course, nothing happened.  Such "little updates", translation - fixing what ain't broke - always spell trouble.  The other sessions were also equally frustrating and their basic premises were (a) there was no problem at their end, (b) I was a fool and (c) my software (Thunderbird) needed a reset.  Unwilling to engage in a time-wasting, fruitless and aggravating wild goose chase, I terminated the chats, keeping their transcripts.

Although IMAP.COX.NET was pinging, switching the server to it and the port to 993 as instructed by some Internet websites did not help.

So this morning I shot a snail mail to Mr. Len Barlik, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Cox Communications, Inc,, 6205 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd, Atlanta, GA 30328 (an address I pulled from their confusing and convoluted website) recounting my woes and hoping for some help from the top echelon which is always an uncertain prospect.  I still remember how a few years ago their SMTP server had acted up and sending mail had stopped but Cox stubbornly refused to admit that there was a problem and after a week-long period of frustration the service magically resumed without any changes at my end and with no apologies or even an explanation from Cox.

Yet another problem has now cropped up.  When I try to access this board with Firefox, I sometimes get this mysterious message "Bad Request - Request Too Long  HTTP Error 400. The size of the request headers is too long."  After several failed attempts to log on I switched to Internet Explorer and succeeded, for now, anyway.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

I don't use thunderbird, too many issues with it. I actually still use Windows Live Mail. It's old, but it works flawlessly. Here is a quick snapshot, the first three are pop accounts, the second 3 are IMAP accounts.

The green check marks indicates a satisfactory connection and access. I purposely did not copy my email account names though. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

I just sent a email to cox.help@cox.com requesting a moderator to chime in on this. Maybe POP3 is down in certain areas/states?

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

What server are you using exactly? Pop.cox.net or something else?

As for Firefox, I just tried with version 110 and updated to 112 and both worked signing into forums.cox.com. Do you have 2FA enabled?

DaveInLV
        New Contributor III

It is POP.COX.NET and my Firefox version is 112 which I update every Friday and have used it for years without any problem.