Forum Discussion

archath
New Contributor
5 years ago

No, my outage was not "cleared"

I have a previous thread that was locked by the mods for some reason, that this is following up on.

https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/internet-forum/25261/packet-loss-gaming-voip-problems

TLDR I reported an outage, had a technician confirm, and got my account credited for the duration of the outage.  Yesterday (Saturday) morning I received a text that the outage was "cleared".  I thought this timing was a bit suspicious as there has seemed to naturally be less congestion on the network on the weekends, compared to weekdays with people working from home. 

It turns out my connection is still bad, currently experiencing packet loss fluctuating around 5%, even after the outage was "cleared".  So this is forcing me to go back to customer support again, and answer the same questions again, in order to get Cox to take this seriously.  I would like for Cox to show me material proof that they have actually fixed something before declaring the outage "cleared" again in the future.

It is very frustrating to have the rotating cast of online support agents keep suggesting that they need to send a technician back to my house, even though the last technician saw packet loss with his tester plugged directly into the brand new drop he ran to my house.

I believe Cox and I both know the problem is with their network, I would just like them to admit it and tell me what they're doing to fix the problem.

1 Reply

falc
    New Contributor III

It's likely that their monitoring picks up issues with nodes and flags an outage and then clears it once the alarms on the nodes clear. Recently, that has been packetloss. So the extreme packetloss during the day flags the node as in an outage, then once everyone goes to bed and traffic on the node dies down, it auto clears the outage. An outage doesn't mean that techs are on site fixing anything unfortunately. 

They do know what the issue is but they've instructed customer service to act like nothing is wrong, to continue to charge normal rates as most people won't notice since all they're doing is streaming Netflix. Gamers, streamers, VPN users, VOIP and video conferencing users are experiencing the same **. 

The only fix is a node split and it takes months to get everything in order including construction permits from the city. So if your city is shut down then you're stuck for months. Best bet is to file with the FCC so someone who knows what they're talking about will call you and you can get discounts as well as a timeline on your node split.