Forum Discussion

KenKK
Contributor
9 months ago

new 500/50 10% plan

I am getting conflicting information.   The Sales Rep at my local COX store told me anyone with 500 down will now be getting 50 up with that plan.

It's written on an internal memo. 

He called it something like the 10% plan.   I called COX internet customer service on the phone and was told they

knew nothing about it.   My modem is a Surf SB6190.  The bandwidth is 32x8 and the specs exceed both the download

of 500 and the 50 upload.  I see no reason I should not be getting more than my current 10 up. 

A few years ago I used to be on a 300/30 plan but do to cost I downgraded and ended up

with the 500/10 plan.  I easily got both the 300 down and 30 up.

I have a friend  same State and about 10 miles away who uses a COX modem with 500 down and 10 up and he also is not getting

the 50 up.

What's the scoop concerning this.

Thanks,

Ken

23 Replies

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

Wait:
    Your modem the SB6190 is only a DOCSIS 3.0, The 50Mbps may require a DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Someone else should chime in and say if I'm correct.
    I just looked it up and DOCSIS 3.0 does not support OFDM. So you will probably never get the 50Mbps. Sorry.šŸ˜ž
    www.surfboard.com/.../

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

You are correct. You need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem for upstream OFDM and thus 50Mbps upload.

Thanks for your help lately. It is much appreciated. šŸ‘

KenKK
      Contributor

Even though the SB6190 spec is 262 upload speed?   The modem channel is 32x8.

Unlike most 24x8 3.0 modems.  The download spec is slightly over 800 and I currently

get about 600 down.

It's very difficult to find knowledgable people to talk to when calling COX.  Their Customer Service

knew nothing of the 500/50 plan.   I checked with a friend who has the latest COX modem

with currently 500/10.  I told him to reboot the modem.  He still gets 500/10.

When a COX store rep tells you 500/50 but the on the phone Customer Service person

says they know nothing of this plan.  How do you get the correct info.

I picked up a modem yesterday for my summer home and the same sales rep told

me I will get 500/50.   I'll know in about 6 hours if it's true.  Unfortunately he'll probably

tell me like he did with my main home to make a service call when I feel confident that

is not the issue, like in most cases when they come they tell me I'm good inside their home

and the problem is on the line.

Ken

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

It's not a matter of what is technically possible, but what Cox will provision and bandwidth efficiency. You need 3 things for the faster upload; D3.1 modem, upstream OFDM and for your area to be "green lit" which basically means the configuration files which control speed on your modems need to be adjusted. Usually this is done on mass 2 weeks after you get the upstream OFDM channel. I suggest asking a friend/neighbor in your area who has a D3.1 modem or new Panoramic gateway(the white one) if they get the faster upload. You can see if your on the same node by looking at the CMTS MAC in your logs. If they get it, you should get it if you decide to upgrade.

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

If your node has not been converted to support one Upstream OFDM carrier, you wont get 50Mbps Up
    If you have the Upstream OFDM carrier, then cycle the modem several times, and your Upload should increase to 50Mbps Up

Also if you are missing all the 4 Upstream QAM channels, (That happened to me.) Cox made a mistake when configuring your node. Post your Diag Signals.

Also, if you have an RF Amplifier on your line, It will cause serious problems with your Upload. Bypass the Amp with a barrel connector or splitter to separate your modem from the Amp.
    forums.cox.com/.../no-upload-in-the-arrowhead-area-85308.

Missing Upstream QAM channels will look something like this:

KenKK
      Contributor

How do I insert a picture?  I just looked at my modem status and I can insert the upload

results.

Ken

KenKK
      Contributor

I don't have an amp in line for the Internet but there is a splitter that cox installed splitting the line

going to an amp for the cable tv.    The other line from the splitter goes straight to the modem.

My download speed is almost 600   but the upload as of today after power cycling the modem

still at 10-12 upload.

K

I show all 4 upload channels on my SB6190 modem.  I tried cycling several times and I had cox send a reset hit to the box.  It's still 500/10.    Unfortunately COX Internet Tech does not have the same information the 2 COX stores have concerning the upgrade from 500/10 to 500/50 at no additional cost.

Ken

ratoren
    New Contributor II

Fyi, i get 500+ down and around 27-29 up with the same plan and Docsis 3.0 24/8 modem. My Cox homepage says 500/50, so i guess there's some limit on the upload for Docsis 3.0. I'm not buying a new modem for a bit more upload speed.

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Yup, as stated here, you need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem for the 50Mbps upload. All future speed upgrades will require a D3.1 modem so you will need to upgrade eventually.

KenKK
      Contributor

My SB6190 is a 32x8 modem.   COX Technical told me my modem could handle the 50 up.

At the moment my COX account is still showing 500/10.   I am hoping its just not available in my city. My friend about 10 miles away in a different City just got upgraded at no cost to 500/50.

Ken

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

First off - https://www.cox.com/residential/support/cox-certified-cable-modems.html

It says you have a Docsis 3.0 modem capable of 500 MB service, but can only do 10 up - Note: Compatible DOCSIS 3.0 modems on Go Even Faster (500 Mbps) receive up to 10 Mbps upload.

If you want to get 50 up, you will need a Docsis 3.1 modem. I currently use the Netgear CM2000, which can handle their top service of 2gbps. I am using the 500/50 service and it handles it very smoothly without any hiccups. 

KenKK
      Contributor

Hi and thank you for your reply..

According to the MFG and one of the COX Techs I spoke with about a year ago,

the specifications of the SB6190 (32x8) exceeded the 50 upload speed.  If you do a quick google

search on a SB6190 it stating 262mbps upload speed.    Also if as you say it is good for only 10 up

then this confuses me because just a few years ago I was on a plan that offered 300/30 and I had

no problems with the 30 upload in fact I never went below 30 upload and was always higher than the 30.   Unfortunately I have to end that plan because of increased pricing of my cable TV.

This has me baffled when the specs say it can easily handle 50 up,  I used to have 30 up, and now all of a sudden its only good for 10 up?    The other thing my account is still showing my plan as 500/10.   I was told by 2 COX stores to keep an eye on my account.  When it changes to 500/50 the new upload speed would be available to me.   

Thanks for your reply.    My worst case is use one of their modem/routers in what I believe is called "bridge mode" letting me take the output of the modem router and feed a stand alone Router. I don't believe COX is still charging a rental feed for modems.  I have a complicated config of WiFi cameras, thermostat and other devices requiring port forwarding and I just as soon stay with my working router.   It has GigaBit ethernet ports and the WiFi is fast enough.

Ken

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

While it's capable of it, the technology Cox uses to achieve 50mbps up, requires a D3.1  modem. Because yours is a 3.0, you are limited to the 10mbps up. It's like a car in Hampton roads, on the I64 interstate. If you have 2 or more people, you can travel in the HOV lane at a faster rate of speed than the other lanes. While ALL of the cars are capable of the faster speed, only those who meet the specifications, (2 or more people), are allowed to be on the HOV lanes at 10MPH faster than the standard lanes.  Your modem is capable of faster speeds, BUT the transmission method Cox uses, requires a certain specification that your modem doesn't meet, so it has to run at the slower speeds.