Forum Discussion

OtherBill
New Contributor II
3 years ago

Netspeed utility indicated speed discrepancy

My Gigablast service was working at an acceptable service level until the beginning of December 2021.  Since then, the Netspeed test result from inside my online Cox account to the Cox Phoenix server is showing 899.1 mbs while the Netspeed utility running on my desktop to the Cox Phoenix server is showing 162.90 mbs.  Choosing another test server from the desktop results in similar reduced speeds. I can't get a speed faster than 300 mbs on any test server I've tried from my desktop. I'm obviously not receiving a service level even close to what I am paying for.

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi OtherBill, do you have other wired or wireless devices also experiencing slow speeds? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      OtherBill
      New Contributor II

At the moment, my phone on the wifi is hitting 437 mbs and my desktop is at 177.25, both using SpeedTest.

BenS1
        Former Moderator
        @OtherBill
        That is interesting seems like you are getting higher speeds on wifi than you are while hardwired. Have you tried swapping out the ethernet cable for your desktop?

Ben S.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What' results do you get at the desktop with WiFi turned off on the router?

OtherBill
      New Contributor II

No difference whether wifi was enabled or disabled, 147 mbs.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

A router is an equal-opportunity sharer.  Since you can't isolate the modem, you want everything disconnected from a router except the testing device.  If your phone is measuring 437 Mbps on WiFi, I think you may be getting good bandwidth to your house.  One problem may be with your desktop.

- Is the wireless NIC on the desktop, if applicable, disabled during tests?
    - Have you tried a different port on the router?
    - Sometimes disabling and re-enabling the NIC helps.
    - While you're in the NIC, any updates available for its drivers?

I kinda unsure if you have a second problem.  "My Gigablast service was working at an acceptable service level until the beginning of December 2021.  Since then, the Netspeed test...is showing 899.1 mbs."

What's wrong with 899 Mbps?  What were you previously showing?

OtherBill
      New Contributor II

I'll look into your bulleted items but to answer your last question, the 899 value came only between my Cox online account speed test utility and the Cox test server, both devices on the same net. My desktop SpeedTest to a Cox server in Phoenix right now produces 147, and I'm located near Tucson. I would love to have 899 again from my desktop.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

So before December 2021, your desktop was measuring 899 Mbps via your Cox account?

Do you recall what you were measuring at your desktop via Fast and Speedtest also before December 2021...or had you only used your Cox account to test?

If you're measuring 437 Mbps on another device, it just seems your desktop is now getting a smaller slice of your bandwidth.  Perhaps something had changed in its network settings, although it'd be weird for a wired connection.

I don't know your OS but you could check if Window Auto-Tuning is enabled.