Forum Discussion

MikeInVegas
New Contributor
6 years ago

LOOOONG Delays - "Resolving Host"

Since the repeal of "Net Neutrality" Cox HSI has went significantly downhill. An average DNS lookup takes about 8 seconds. Multiple times a day / night I will be on Facebook and suddenly all videos will not play. Instead I get the little circle icon going round and round - on every video. It isn't WiFi related as my connection to the modem/rounter (supplied by Cox) is via Cat5e cable. My wife's connection to her Laptop is via WiFi - and she has been complaining about it since we changed over to Cox from Centurylink. We were supposed to get higher speed internet. Things were Great - until just around the time frame that Net Neutrality was repealled. 

I signed up for reliable and consistant Internet / Phone / TV service. Whatever Cox changed - change it back! This is NOT what we signed up for. 

1 Reply

Rob_H_
    Contributor II

My first thought was to suggest flushing your DNS cache by running the command "ipconfig /flushdns" as administrator on your, presumably, Windows-based devices. However, upon further reading, it sounds like the issue began affecting multiple devices simultaneously.

If you are fortunate enough to have a modem that offers an expanded look at your error logs and other connection-related data through the 192.168.100.1 (or similar)  web interface, you might want to look there for things like frequent T3 timeouts, correctable and most-importantly uncorrectable codeword numbers that are frequently accumulating on any of your downstream channels.  In addition, you should be able to see if your modem channel signal levels and SNR numbers are within spec.  Lastly, if your modem and router are separate, verify your connection speed and duplex setting between them.  Good luck.