Forum Discussion

Mike12345
New Contributor
3 years ago

Jitter/Packet Loss

I am experiencing latency issues while trying to use basic VOIP and zoom calls for work over the past few weeks, as well as gaming on my personal desktop.

While this has always been a sporadic issue for me, it's seemingly become worse over the past two weeks. This is effectively preventing me from working from home. I have tried to troubleshoot this on my own using your own website recommendations as well as any third-party recommendations I can find. While my download speeds (Mbps) appear to be fine, I think the issue comes down to jumps in latency and a consistent issue with jitter.

Network testing on the Cox-provided testing tools, in addition to 3rd party websites, has my jitter going from 3ms, on the low end, to over 100ms, on the high end, which were taken from my desktop computer using hardwired ethernet. I have recently purchased new ethernet cables to rule them out as an issue.

In addition to the troubleshooting I mentioned above, this is what I've tried thus far: * I have spoken to the neighbors and they don’t have the same issue * I have used more than one device to test these results and have come to the same the conclusion. Testing done on laptops through wifi, my personal computer on ethernet and wifi, my work laptop through ethernet and wifi * I have done a clean install of my operating system on my personal desktop At this point I am not sure where to go. I am open to any suggestions you have. I do want to express urgency as I will be increasing the amount of time I spend working remote due to the upcoming holiday season. If possible, are there any diagnostic tools you have from your end that can give me some suggestions? I consider myself a somewhat technical person and am open to trying anything you have for me.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CrystalS
    Former Moderator
    Hello @Mike12345,

I completely understand the hassle of having inconsistent internet speeds. I am here to help. I recommend until the issue is resolved, that you hard-wire a laptop or desktop directly to the modem by Ethernet bypassing the router for the best possible connection. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Crystal S.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator