Forum Discussion

StormVektor
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Intermittent packet loss/dropouts lasting 15-30 seconds

Ever since Thursday evening (after an outage that lasted almost an hour), I've been dealing with packet loss and dropouts occuring every 5-10 minutes and lasting about 15-30 seconds. Running StarTrinity CST confirms the issue occurring upstream, while downstream doesn't seem to be effected as much. Lights on modem indicate a solid connection, although the upload light will occasionally blink one time during a dropout... Of course, I've tried everything to resolve the issue: Hard reset modem & router, release/renew IP, flush DNS, change DNS to Cloudflare 1.1.1.1, checked cables, and even tried connecting through a VPN. Nothing has worked.

Modem: NETGEAR CM500
Router: NETGEAR Nighthawk R6700

10 Replies

• I haven't seen any packet loss to your modem yet, but I am seeing a history of a quite a bit of timeout errors on your modem (which could be happening when you experience the issues on your end). Are there any cable splitters or anything of that nature that you could bypass? Short of that and checking the existing cabling for tightness we will likely need to have a technician out to investigate further. If that is the case, you can email us at cox.help@cox.com with a link to this thread and your service address.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      StormVektor
      New Contributor II

I'd do that, but I was on the phone earlier with customer service, twice. I was told you guys can't send out a tech, because we're using a self-purchased NETGEAR modem, instead of one provided by Cox. We were advised to get (rent) one of your modems, which means an extra $10 a month. I don't understand why a tech wouldn't be able to troubleshoot an issue, regardless of the modem being used... I'm physically disabled, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to have someone recheck the cables and splitter. This seems to be tied to the outage on Thursday, and not a cable issue. Everything was just fine before...

This is my mother's account, but I'm handling this because she isn't tech savvy. This is starting to get extremely frustrating... We may have to look into getting a new provider if this isn't resolved soon.

StormVektor
    New Contributor II

UPDATE: It's 6:20am. After almost a week, the issue finally seems to be resolved, hopefully. Connection has been stable for over 3 hours. Will see if this continues during peek usage times. Why didn't Cox just admit they were having issues? It would have been much easier on everyone.

Allan
      @StormVektor, please let us know if you continue to experience issues with the service. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
        StormVektor
        New Contributor II

3:15pm... Issue has returned. Looks like it's occurring during peak usage hours... Everything was working fine from 3am-8am before I finally went to bed after being up all night.

StormVektor
    New Contributor II

Just ran pingplotter... Issues seem to be occurring on 68.1.5.140 and it causes everything else to spike.

Bruce_Niere
      New Contributor III

I have the same issue and I think its Cox's routes. I have asked them for everything I could think of but I ended up getting charged because I let a tech come out and "try" to fix the problem. I don't have the problem cause its cox's but they don't admit that but my tip here is don't let them get to you to get a tech to come out cause its a trick.

This link is my thread with the same problem

Bruce_Niere
        New Contributor III

btw I live in Kansas too. and you don't have the problem as your hop#1 is your router. just don't let them trick you

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      @StormVektor, I apologize for the delayed response. Your modem levels are outside of our preferred specifications, which can cause performance issues. Please make sure there are no loose or damaged connections in the home, and this includes any splitters you may have. At this time, I recommend sending out a service technician to investigate further. Please email us at cox.help@cox.com, if you'd like for us to schedule a service appointment. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator