Forum Discussion

ProvRI02909
New Contributor II
10 months ago
Solved

How do I factory reset my modem/router so I can reset the password to get into it?

I cant get into the router they gave me at the store, of course it was used by someone else. I cant get in to turn it into bridge mode. Tried holding in the reset button in back but it isnt going back to default, Any suggestions please.

• What router/gateway do you have? See here for pictures/models. If it's the newer white Wifi 6E model(CGM4981) then you have to hold the WPS button for 60 seconds. If you don't do it for the full 60 seconds it only activates WPS mode. If that doesn't work, swap the router out for another one at the store. Seems that one wasn't refurbished correctly. 

PS. A fellow Rhode Islander? Cheers!

• Ahh, the black one. According to the support page, the reset button needs to be held 10 seconds for factory default. 

On a separate point, may I ask why you are renting the gateway and not using the router part? Why not buy your own modem too? Do you get the gateway for free with your contract?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

What router/gateway do you have? See here for pictures/models. If it's the newer white Wifi 6E model(CGM4981) then you have to hold the WPS button for 60 seconds. If you don't do it for the full 60 seconds it only activates WPS mode. If that doesn't work, swap the router out for another one at the store. Seems that one wasn't refurbished correctly. 

PS. A fellow Rhode Islander? Cheers!

ProvRI02909
      New Contributor II

Thanks for the response, I have the CGM4141 model. Hello to a fellow RI'er

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Ahh, the black one. According to the support page, the reset button needs to be held 10 seconds for factory default. 

On a separate point, may I ask why you are renting the gateway and not using the router part? Why not buy your own modem too? Do you get the gateway for free with your contract?