Forum Discussion

Zurq
Contributor II
3 years ago

Getting 300mbps when on the 150mbps plan (weird)

Okay, yesterday my modem reset, and that night I was downloading a game and noticed my peak download speed was (299.5mbps) which it is supposed to say like 180mbps, talked to support and they told me everything is running fine on their end, and that they have no idea what it could be. They said it could be a modem issue, but I don't know how to determine what is the problem. Below is my modem Logs.

Hope someone can tell me what is happening and if I need to buy a new modem or not.
Thanks.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Is it just me or did you write your numbers backwards?  Are you on the 300 Mbps plan but only getting 150?  I didn't know Cox would/could configure a 16×4 modem for a 300 plan.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I'm sure Cox will figure it and correct.  There is a thing called Excess Capacity when if Cox can afford you more capacity based on your enclave, they'll overclock your connection.  I've never heard of doubling it.  Enjoy!

Glenee
    Contributor II

It's hard to believe that people are questioning better service than what they are paying for, I just don't understand this one.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

This "problem" reminds me of a Daryle Singletary song:  "Too much fun, what's that mean?  It's like too much [bandwidth], there's no such thing...

Zurq
      Contributor II

cause cox hasn't ever done anything for me but screw up, and give me the run around, then it gets fixed, then it breaks again, rinse and repeat, so this happening out of nowhere made me ask questions, cause i've never had anything good happen. Plus i was just asking around to make sure this isn't an issue. cause of what prior line crew told me, "Your modem is showing a low SNR, you need to see about getting it replaced" 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

The crew may know, may not know but are not the ones to ask because signal specs vary according to the type of plan, type of modem and type of modulation.  The crew would have had to research your account.  Some say 30+ dB is good...some say 33+ dB is good.  You're close to 33 dB and i don't think Cox will bother troubleshooting.

Right now, Cox is still consistent with screwing up...but it's a good screw up.