Forum Discussion

aholic_2
New Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

From PC to TV

I have libraries on my PC. I have been using them for years. The other day I realized I never used the internet but watched movies on my TV that were on The PC.

All of a sudden my daily data was much higher than usual.

Is it true you are charging me (data) for watching, listening or reading from my PC to TV.

Also went to connect Samsung Phone to PC ..they use Samsung Flow...which uses wifi...to transfer files from phone to PC

am I getting hit with data on that too.

This watching data really really really **... I can understand it to an extent... but in todays world it is all data.

Bruce
    4 years ago

WiFi is LAN.  If data transfer is restricted to only the LAN, Cox can't meter it.  Cox can only meter your data if it travels out the modem or ONT.

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I think the best start is to tell us what you've got in your house.  I understand you have a PC as an in-house media server.  If it's in-house, it wouldn't count against your cap.

I also understand you have an ONT and router, but what are the makes and models of these devices?  Do you have a Wireless 4K Contour Stream Player?  If so, that'd count against your data cap.

aholic_2
      New Contributor

I have gigablast from COX

I semi learned about ONT trying to setup a non verizon router for a Verizon FIOS account (for a friend) so no I do not have FIOS.

I have a CGM4141COX modem/router combo

I really do appreciate the time you guys are taking to help me understand all this. You guys are the best.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I think you're mistaken the technology and it's getting off track.  You do not have an ONT.  Your friend may have an ONT because Verizon had connected his or her house with fiber optic technology.  If you have the Technicolor CGM4141, you have DOCSIS technology (coaxial).

This isn't really important because you're claiming your data usage is increasing.  Do you subscribe to cable TV?  Is so, what device (make & model) did Cox issue you?

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

If data is transferring within your house...from device to device on your LAN...it doesn't count against your data cap.  How could it?  It's not on the Cox network.  If your data usage is increasing but you're not streaming or downloading huge files from the Internet, perhaps you have an unauthorized user on your network.  Change your encryption key.

aholic_2
      New Contributor

OK ..Thanks....If a smart TV is connected through a wifi connection that's still on my LAN right?  That's what I was thinking but wanted to be sure. Just wasn't 100% on wifi / LAN.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

From where is the WiFi TV getting its programming?  Yes, the TV may be connected to your router but the router isn't providing the programming.  The router is only an intermediary to the source of your programming.  If your source of programming is an in-house media server, this would not count against your data cap.  If the source is Hulu, for example, it would count.

bearone2
      Contributor III

how do you figure it doesn't count, this from cox.com/my wifi....devices using wifi??

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

WiFi is LAN.  If data transfer is restricted to only the LAN, Cox can't meter it.  Cox can only meter your data if it travels out the modem or ONT.