Forum Discussion

ChromeDome
New Contributor II
2 years ago
Solved

for people with connectivity issues, can you please put your general area in your posts? I'm having issues too

I'm having issues ever since APS fixed a bad power cable in our neighborhood exactly 7 days ago. We lost power a couple weeks ago. APS had our neighborhood back up and running within a couple hours IIRC and later told us a main power trunk went bad. They fixed it and on 7-11 we lost power for just a few minutes while they switched back to the main trunk. I've had intermittent drops ever since. I don't have time right now for all the details, but they are sending out ANOTHER tech after the last tech told and showed me the errors upstream of our neighborhood box but in the ticket he lied and said there were no issues.

Mostly, I see posts in here with people describing the same issues and I'm wondering if they are on the same node as me. I'm at about 28th Street and Cactus, 85032.

Thanks

• Thank you. It seems it got fixed sometime late yesterday.  I don't remember getting dropped later in the day and today it's been great even before the Cox tech got here at noon or so. He saw no errors at the pedestal (whatever it's called) and came and checked out the box on the side of the house. He did disconnect from what he called something like an old Cox phone box (something that requires voltage on the line which is no longer the case) and reterminated the connections. I do wish someone could tell me why it got fixed sometime yesterday. Like, what the the issue and where on the network was it.

I'm now seeing 0% packet loss of 5000 packets, a couple drops but no biggie. This when pinging my node's CMTS/CCAP. I see other people have struggled for months with issues so I'm glad I didn't. It's all good now.

UPDATE: That's right, on Nextdoor someone said they saw Cox trucks working in our neighborhood yesterday, July 19th. I'm guessing the found and fixed the issue.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChromeDome
    New Contributor II

Adding more detail now, this is the email I sent to Cox just now. I'll edit it a bit.

Roughly early July, our neighborhood lost power for a couple hours. APS later told us a main trunk feeding our neighborhood failed. They put in a temp trunk to bypass the failed part. They told us that last week we'd lose power while they switched back to the fixed trunk. This happened 7-11 at about 9 am. Ever since then, we've been having issues. I could initially tell because I RDP into work and RDP isn't very tolerant of dropped packets (I RDP through a gateway, not port 3389 :/ and I kept losing connection for a while.
    The issue is that about every 5 minutes on average, I lose connection to the internet for 20 to 30 seconds or so. Screenshots show the dropped packets. I am continuously pinging our Cox DNS server there, and for a while I was also pinging my TV. The ping to my TV didn't drop packets ever, so it became clear the problem is the pedestal or upstream.
    I also have a traceroute showing what happens when I lose connection. My neighbor also says that since last Monday, when they're streaming TV sometimes it buffers and it never used to do that. That's happening for me too.
    I chatted with tech support last week but got frustrated because she kept implying it was an issue after the pedestal, somewhere in my network. I then called again Thursday (ticket redacted) and a tech came out Saturday morning at 7:30 am (didn't call first, that was nice). He put some device on the termination block, going upstream, and the device showed errors. He showed it to me. He said it's either that pedestal itself or upstream and said he'd escalate the ticket. However, apparently in the notes he said there was no problem. He LIED. When he was here he even apologized for the phone tech disregarding me and said he'd take care of it. Well, that didn't happen, the issue was never escalated.
    I chatted again today and have another ticket (for some reason) and a tech coming out Wednesday. New ticket (redacted)
    Can you guys please make sure this gets fixed? I am trying to work from home and constantly get disconnected.
    Thanks,
    David

LatitiaS
      Hello ChromeDome,

You certainly haven't had the experience I would wish for anyone and I would be more than happy to monitor the ticket to ensure completion. Please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com with your name and address. Please be sure to include the link to the URL so that we can identify you.
      I look forward to your response.

Latitia
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
        ChromeDome
        New Contributor II

Thank you. It seems it got fixed sometime late yesterday.  I don't remember getting dropped later in the day and today it's been great even before the Cox tech got here at noon or so. He saw no errors at the pedestal (whatever it's called) and came and checked out the box on the side of the house. He did disconnect from what he called something like an old Cox phone box (something that requires voltage on the line which is no longer the case) and reterminated the connections. I do wish someone could tell me why it got fixed sometime yesterday. Like, what the the issue and where on the network was it.

I'm now seeing 0% packet loss of 5000 packets, a couple drops but no biggie. This when pinging my node's CMTS/CCAP. I see other people have struggled for months with issues so I'm glad I didn't. It's all good now.

UPDATE: That's right, on Nextdoor someone said they saw Cox trucks working in our neighborhood yesterday, July 19th. I'm guessing the found and fixed the issue.