Forum Discussion

smithja5
New Contributor
6 years ago

Cox SPAM Filters

I enabled the Cox SPAM filters back when the option became available over a decade ago. Then, starting in Jun 2018 my inbox began to get flooded with SPAM daily. I have reported hundreds of SPAM messages to Cox with no let down in the amount of SPAM messages. All the SPAM has nonsensical text in their bodies. Cox used to block this but looks like they have stopped doing it. My attempts to work this through Support has gone nowhere. I go from getting less than five spam emails over ten years to over 400 since June. I guess Cox has turned off SPAM filtering.This is extremely frustrating. Anyone have a good suggestion as to how to stop the avalanche of SPAM? Thanks!

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    OpenBSD
    Contributor II

Looks like Cox is in the process of upgrading their spam management and email security. See the link below:

Protecting Yourself From Spam

They appreciate you patience as they work hard to towards these improvements. ðŸ˜‰

duhmel123
      New Contributor III
      Looks like Cox is in the process of upgrading their spam management and email security. See the link below:

The 'link below' does not mention anything about Cox 'upgrading their own SPAM management.  It only discusses ways that the users can minimize SPAM.  I have seen the same increase in SPAM in the past few month that is noted by the OP.  Cox has clearly done something different and it is about time for them to take action or at least go back to the way that they were filtering SPAM at the beginning of the year.

OpenBSD
        Contributor II

Are you sure? Double check at the top. Mine shows in red toward the top the following:

"Cox has many resources focused on improving spam management and email security, and we are in the process of upgrading our spam filtering. We appreciate your patience as we work toward these improvements."

DAL
    New Contributor

I agree that Cox's SPAM filtering is doing a lousy job, as I receive about 10 spam messages every day, and I dutifully forward them to spamreport@cox.net each time I receive one.  I further have started relying on my e-mail client to blacklist the domain name of every spam message I receive.  However, even that doesn't seem to do much good as just one character difference in a domain name means that my e-mail client will not catch it, and these *** spammers can easily and continually make changes to their addresses.

Cox -- you've really got to do a better job.  I suppose I could start using another e-mail address, but that doesn't seem be an acceptable solution as I'll have to notify all of my contacts about my change and many, many websites use one's e-mail address as userIDs.  If I have to go to that extreme, it might be better to find an ISP that really has reliable span filters.