Forum Discussion

Roger73025
New Contributor
2 years ago

Cox Security Suite versus McAfee Total Protection

My personal McAfee is expiring and I want to install the Cox Security Suite. Anyone have any experience with the Cox Security Suite versus McAfee Total Security package? I am assuming I have to uninstall McAfee first before installing the Cox version. Correct?

13 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Yes,  Completely uninstall, log into your Cox account and navigate to McAfee.

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Cox Security Suite/Mcafee will actually uninstall the total protection version, reboot the computer, then install the new version for you. 

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Just me but I'd prefer to let the OS remove a program and then after the reboot, I'd search anything McAfee (*mcafee*.*), delete and then do the new install.

I've got nothing against McAfee, but these are 2 different programs so a remove and install should be 2 different actions.

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Actually, they are BOTH Mcafee, and the installer actually calls the correct program's uninstaller and runs it to uninstall ANY prior security program. If you have Norton, the Mcafee installer uses the Norton uninstaller info found in the registry, as well as control panel, to perform the uninstall, as well as any other security program. Since the uninstall of security software requires a reboot, the system requests a reboot, and then upon restart, completes running the installer and installs Mcafee.,