Forum Discussion

johnpd
New Contributor III
7 years ago

Cox Phone Service converting to VOIP

I am in the general Tucson area and received a letter from Cox indicating that the current phone service connected via the wall plug will be discontinued and will be replaced by a VOIP service which requires a telephony enabled modem or eMTA device. The letter indicated that I could upgrade "for free" [maybe?] to a telephony capable Cox modem. According to the Cox update site, I was given two modem options: the Cisco DPQ3212 (modem and phone capability only) or the Arris TG1682 (modem, phone, and WiFi capability) which I believe would require renting from Cox. I currently have my own modem and router and I definitely do not want a combination modem/router nor would I want the old technology DPQ3212. Are there other options available? For instance, would I be able to get  the newer TM3402 DOCSIS 3.1 modem which has phone capability? If yes, (1) would I get it for free, or (2) if not for free, what would it cost me? I would rather get newer technology than eight year old technology. My understanding that if I want to stay with Cox phone service, they are required to give me an eMTA capable device. My other option would be to drop Cox phone service and get a 3rd party eMTA service such as Vonage, Ooma, or 1-VOIP.

JohnD

13 Replies

bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

johnpd said:

Hi Bryan,

I don't have an alarm system so that is not an issue. Right now I only use one phone jack to which I have connected my wireless base phone. All the other phones are wireless handsets. I am assuming that when I convert, I would have to connect that base phone to the eMTA?

JohnD

If the install is done properly and the phone circuit loop is closed, the eMTA can plug into any phone jack and all jacks will be active. So your base phone could go anywhere there is a phone jack.

johnpd
    New Contributor III

The nearest phone jack is over 25ft (opposite ends of a large room) from the modem so I will have to bring the phone to the modem.

JohnD