Forum Discussion

Disgruntled_co1
New Contributor
2 years ago

Cox email is not compatible with iphone's email program

The problem described in this post is still continuing.  Cox - it is time to be honest and warn all your cox email users that it is not compatible with an iphone. I had an iphone 8 that worked fine with my cox email for many years until it recently stopped working. I spoke by phone and in person with Cox customer service persons and they assured me that there were no problems with my Cox email.  I spoke with my phone service provider customer service by phone and in person and was told that it was not my phone service provider's problem, and I needed to talk to Apple or Cox.  Having already spoken with Cox, I tried Apple.  The Apple genius did his best to figure out a work around for my cox email with an Apple email app and was unsucessful.  The only thing that would work was for me to only use Cox webmail.  He kindly told me that problems with Cox email are common now and Cox is not willing to take any action to fix the problems since they have stopped offering email services.  I will be acquiring a new email and will be spending the huge amount of time it will take for me to change everything I have from my cox email to another email provider.  The really sad part is that there doesn't seem to be a single provider who will provide me with reliable, trustworthy email, intetrnet and phone service. I am forced to use different providers for each service in order to recieve good service for each of those three services.  I long for the good ole days when these companies cared more about their customers than they did about making money for their leaders and shareholders while screwing their customers and their hardworking emplloyees. If there are any credible respectable attorneys or elected officials out there who have the ability and knowledge to take action necessary to protect the consumer, I hope you would step up and try.  

12 Replies

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Actually it's not COX that is incompatible, there is a bug in the Apple email program. If you google "apple iphone email problems", you get over 307 MILLION hits. Trust me, they are not ONLY cox. If there was a problem with the cox email system, it would have the same implications with EVERY email software package out there. Since they ALL work the same, and APPLE is the one having the issue, doesn't it make sense to discuss this with APPLE. BTW, I know what I am talking about, the bug came about when Apple made changes to the software YEARS ago, when I was beta testing for Apple. Myself and many others tried to tell apple about it, but their response was, "Not everyone is having the issue so it must be your device". Well here we are.. BTW, the FIX, is to delete the email ID off of the apple software on the phone, and then Re-Add it. then it will re-write the corrupted CFG file causing the issue, and it should start working again. 

Again, since ALL email programs are supposed to access email servers in the same way, if ONE email program doesn't work, and others are working just fine, in my case, my android, my windows, my macbook, running outlook, and my ipad running SPARK email software, then guess what, it's apple's email program that **, and needs to be fixed. It won't happen till enough people contact apple and voice their displeasure with Apple's software. Also, when I worked for Cox, I helped at least a dozen people a week get their software on their iPhone working again, ensure it's setup as IMAP, delete the account completely off the phone, reboot the phone to clear the memory, then re-add the ID back into the client. 

Blame the right people. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    The really sad part is that there doesn't seem to be a single provider who will provide me with reliable, trustworthy email, intetrnet and phone service.

Almost all ISP outsource their email, including Cox. You are better off using a email provider not associated with a ISP. Not only does stop you from being tied to your ISP's hip, but most independent email providers like Gmail, Yahoo or Proton are better overall IMO.

If there are any credible respectable attorneys or elected officials

On here? I don't think so.

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

I was the apple expert, since I used to beta test for apple, I know all their software and OS's inside and out. In fact I had my macbook with me, and it was nickamed McBeast, since I have vmware on it and windows 2000/xp/vista/7/8/and 10, as well as 3 flavors of linux, 2 versions of DOS, and 2 other versions of Mac OS.  I did it so, if anyone needed to look at an OS to help a customer, I could pull it up, and show them exactly what the customer was seeing. We were going to license vmware and put it on the Tier 2 apple mac, and then copy all the OS's over but something happened to the mac, and then they ended up combining Data Tier 2, and CAG.

When it came to apple though, I was the go to person. I actually wrote several articles to help people with macmail and how to reset the tcpip stack on a mac as well. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

That's great.😃 I will be sure to pass any Apple issue your way. I have a little iOS experience but am more a PC guy then Mac. Nothing against it, just don't have the experience. I am curious though, what in my comment triggered your response?

• What problems are you having? I have a bunch of emails stuck in my Outbox - they won’t send. No rhyme or reason why… includes emails to myself at my Cox address! This only happens on my older iPad, not my iPhone 11 - both with current iOS. 

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

then follow the instructions I provided earlier, delete everything from the outbox, wait 6 hrs, delete the account from the email software, reboot the device, re-add the account, and then send a test message.