Forum Discussion

jimfed67
New Contributor II
7 years ago

COX EMAIL HACKED

Can anyone at COX confirm that there was a security breach that left subscribers EMAIL accounts susceptible to HACKING.

My EMAIL was clearly HACKED and there has been no announcement from COX, just a cryptic message asking subscribers to check security settingss!

33 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    rmalbers
    New Contributor II
    Eventually this will get to someone in Cox's IT department that actually knows how their computing systems work and they will get this fixed, even if it's someone inside the company doing it. They'll get appropriate traces turned on and find out what's going on. I worked in IT for years and I know that there are very few IT employees who really know what they are doing, most just do assigned tasks and most don't really understand the underlying tech behind what they are doing. When this gets to the attention of a real tech they'll dig thru things, get traces turned on and they'll find out what's going on. Meanwhile, there are plenty of free email providers out there to switch to for any important things you use email for.
    rmalbers
    New Contributor II
    rmalbers said:
    Eventually this will get to someone in Cox's IT department that actually knows how their computing systems work and they will get this fixed, even if it's someone inside the company doing it. They'll get appropriate traces turned on and find out what's going on. I worked in IT for years and I know that there are very few IT employees who really know what they are doing, most just do assigned tasks and most don't really understand the underlying tech behind what they are doing. When this gets to the attention of a real tech they'll dig thru things, get traces turned on and they'll find out what's going on. Meanwhile, there are plenty of free email providers out there to switch to for any important things you use email for.
    Also I should add, what gets things like this fixed the quickest, is when it happens to some big shot at the company or one of his friends, that gets things fixed REAL QUICK!
    Garyk
    New Contributor

Why do you assume that Cox security was hacked? Isn’t it just as likely that your password was stolen through another means and used to get control of your Cox email? Just curious.

The same thing happened to me. A Russian hacked my email, forwarded it to Russia, and blocked Amazon emails. I caught it before they changed my Amazon account.